Best Girl Band

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
Turbodog

Re: Best Girl Band

Post by Turbodog »

peychaud, nice call on Cub.

Roman, I agree the 1st Hole record weas damned good, but Courtney could not maintain that level of quality.

Mac, the T. Heads are one of the best bands ever, I totally agree.

That brings up an interesting point. Many good bands really evolved over their careers. Some basicall just kept doing what they were doing. do you prefer that your favorite bands push the envelope a bit or stick to their tried and true sounds.

The Talking Heads (from arty new wave to african influened percussion pop and back) would be a prime example of a changing/eveloving sound. So would Wilco (from rollicking country rock to atmospheric mellow jams), or one of my favorite bands of the recent past, Slobberbone (from cow punk/insurgent country to more mainstream rock). All of these groups continually refined/changed their sound, which alienated some fans along the way.

Thoughts?
Alex

Post by Alex »

The Runaways
Shonen Knife

somwhat honorable mention:

Kittie - first album - even though it was written by one of their dads. It was all right.
Sine qua non
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Shades of Blue

This doesn't really fit in timewise, but Shades of Blue was an all girls band in the 30s and my Mom played the trumpet for them. She was called "Hot Lips Latino". She's all the way to the left in the picture. Their band travelled and played in several states. The male drummer in the picture, Ernie Ulmer, was frequently made up and dressed as a woman to fit in with the theme of Shades of Blue. Other members were Lorraine Aibilich Mule', Marceil Peterson Terry, Thelma Gonzales McDonald, Julie Huth and Jeanne (Jennie) Spato.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Oh, Jeeves! What a GREAT picture! :)
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

How about:

The Carrie Nations;)

Jeeves,
Cool picture!
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

If we open this up to girl fronted bands, there are plenty more good ones.

Just for starters

Tuscadero
Sleeper
Other Star People (featuring Jennifer Finch, aka "Precious", from L7)
Pretenders
Trailer Bride
Mac da Knife

Post by Mac da Knife »

Agreed.

There was also the Stone Poneys.
And don't forget The Cold (Babs, I had many a sleepless night due to the way you clenched your skirt).
“When you say, ‘I wrote a program that crashed Windows,’ people just stare at you blankly and say, ‘Hey, I got those with the system, for free.’” - Linus Torvalds
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Mac da Knife wrote:Agreed.

There was also the Stone Poneys.
And don't forget The Cold (Babs, I had many a sleepless night due to the way you clenched your skirt).
"Hey, Babs! Do the dishes!" :) http://www.threechordcity.com/babsb&w.htm
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
GuySajerForgottenSoldier

Post by GuySajerForgottenSoldier »

Shades of Blue is undoubtedly the most musically talented band of any listed in this thread. Just look at those gals!
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

Mac, I almost listed the Cold on my most recent post, but I thought about it and that band really was a band. I don't know if I consider Babs a frontperson, or just a member of the band. They were, a very good band, with my old friend Chris Luckette pounding those skins.

Back in the day, I liked the Cold, but I thought the Normals were the best band from NO. As a matter of fact, I think the Normals were the best rock band ever to come out of NO. Way ahead of their time for this area.

I might have just hijacked this excellent thread.