R.I.P. Les Paul

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
Gourmondo

R.I.P. Les Paul

Post by Gourmondo »

I know those of you who play and enjoy the guitar join me in thanking Les Paul for his substantial work over the years. This is one of those guys who really changed history. We were blessed he walked among us. Thanks, Les!
Low-N-Slow

Re: R.I.P. Les Paul

Post by Low-N-Slow »

His massive influence on the development of the electric guitar aside, many do not realize his pioneering work in recording techniques such as overdubbing and multi-track recording. Because of him, The Beach Boys, Queen, and everyone in between have much to be thankful for.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

...and the Beatles, Led Zep, and anyone that has ever overdubed anything...

Les was an Iron Horse...all the way until he died...

RIP Les! You Rule!

I would give anything to sit onstage into my 90's, and play a weekly gig.

The man was amzing.

Strange how things go...have co-worker selling a Les Paul Signature, and asked just yesterday if I was interested. Well...I wasn't until now...

Again...RIP Les...you held the mantle for 50+ years. No one can take it from you!
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Here's how much he liked playing the guitar:

He was in a very bad auto accident in the late 40's and told the doctor to permanently set his arm in the guitar playing position.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

I still miss my '67 GTO with the reverb on the radio! Thanks, Les.
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The man was a true icon!
Sine qua non
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Check out Les giving a demo of the Les "Paulverizer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foXSXOAfB4U

Man...I think I will be on here for another 3 hours just paying tribute to THE MAN!
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Les with his (and Ampex's) original Ampex 8-Track, and a more current clone. Audio was my business, and Les led the way in 1953-1955 by having Ampex create/invent the first real multitrack recorder. Up to that point the biggest had been a 3-track. Multitrack replaced the "horrendous" sound-on-sound layering and has grown and grown. I know of one studio that wound up using two sync'ed 24-track machines at one point (48 tracks).

RIP and thanks, Les.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Schuarta wrote: I know of one studio that wound up using two sync'ed 24-track machines at one point (48 tracks).
There's a story about such a setup being used to record the second Boston album, and it didn't work right. So the engineer had to keep the two 24 track tapes in synch for the master by riding the reel flanges with his thumbs, manually slowing one tape ever-so-slightly if it started getting ahead of the other.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »