I really like music/what are you listening to?

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
cstoehr

Re: I really like music/what are you listening to?

Post by cstoehr »

yeah.....even Julia Roberts couldn't straighten him out..........
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

cstoehr wrote:yeah.....even Julia Roberts couldn't straighten him out..........
And that's saying something!
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

...hence...there he is...just chokin' his chicken...
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

So, to lighten my mood after hearing the president lie through his teeth (I never said I was for a single payer plan....; well excuse me sir, but you effing did so, and lutliple times), I went for power pop this afternoon.

So, after listening to Fountains of Wayne all afternoon, I feel somewhat better. Melodic, smart, non political.......perfect.

Now, if I can avoid the FOX shows tonight, I might keep my blood pressure down.
willifred

Post by willifred »

First time to post over here.....I've been listening to Richard Thompson alot lately..,Shoot out the Lights, and Rumor and Sigh. One of the 3 or 4 best guitar players I've ever seen live. Also been listening to old Warren Zevon...The Envoy...title cut applies to todays world as much as the day he wrote it. The band on those early albums was a virtual who's who of the day. .....You can't go wrong with Ry Cooder's Mambo Sinuendo either
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

All good willifred. Good taste!

I like really old Zevon, like say his 1st record, from 1976, featuring "Frank and Jesse James", "Mama Couldn't be Persuaded", "Poor Poor Pitiful Me", "Hasten Down the Wind", "Mohammed's Radio" and "Carmelita", among its excellent 11 trracks.

We were in the Virgin Islands, in 1981, my whole (large) family on my dad's boat of the time, a Gulf Star 50 ketch. I was playing a Zevon tape (no cd's quite yet). One of my brothers wanted to know who was this guy who did all the Linda Rondstat songs. Huh! ARRGGHH. He certainly gave her a fertile field of songs to choose from back then (they were both on Asylum Records at the time).
willifred

Post by willifred »

Carmilita is one of the best songs ever written. I sing it with the windows down, driving really fast. Early address to drug addiction. I love the reference to "pawned my Smith Corona, and I went to meet my man". Redo's of the song arn't as good, as they change it to "Pawned my Smith and Wesson" thinking that's cooler. I met a guy on vacation, that happened to have a shirt on that said "Enjoy Every Sandwich", a reference to his last appearance on David Letterman just before he died. (Go to Youtube and check it out.)The guy was a war correspondent/photographer. When I mentioned how much I loved the song, he immediatly started singing that line. and then proceded to go off about changing the lyric. So I guess people don't even know what a Smith Corona is these days....
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Since I knew I would have the offices mostly to myself today, I packed my 250GB USB drive in my briefcase. It contains most, if not all, of my mp3 collection. I briefly picked and chose from among several thousand tracks, but then settled at some point on an obscure album I picked up back in 1990-- The Joneses "Hard". This was both their debut and only album. I read a favorable write-up about it at the time in Stereo Review, and decided to take a chance. The critics had much higher hopes for them. They were from Boston. Their sound was like early Bad Company with a tinge of Foreigner. But they fell in that time period right between Hair Metal and Grunge. And they also fell between the cracks. Their record was characterized as "bluesy, melodic, upbeat, and just a rockin' fun album to listen to. It's got plenty of great guitar hooks, a powerful vocal performance, solid production, and the kind of songs you can sing along to almost immediately." I would tend to agree, and say that it's a record best enjoyed at high volume.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

The Killers
Razorlight
RaRa Riot
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I like the Killers. Don't know much about the other two.

This thread was moved here presumably to die. I understand admin wanting to beef up the music portion of the board, but I had purposely started this thread in the Lounge (so more would see it and participate), only to be very disappointed to see it moved here.

Anyway, I'll try to keep it going.

Yesterday I listed to Eddie Spaghetti (lead singer for the Supersuckers) solo stuff. It is country tinges and damned good stuff.

Today, it's been the Fabulous Poodles (late 70's, early 80's, thinking man's new wave). Very fine, indeed.