Do You Play A Musical Instrument?

Live & In Person, On CD or MP3
Low-N-Slow

Do You Play A Musical Instrument?

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Growing up, in school, I played saxophone in all of the available extra-curricular venues-- concert, marching, and jazz band. But, as with most teen-aged boys, the guitar was what I really wanted to learn. At age 15, I bought a cheap Stratocaster knock-off at a Service Merchandise-type place. It wasn't until I traded up to an old Gibson electric that I realized the hardware was half my battle in attaining an acceptable level of enjoyment.

So my question is did you ever/do you play an instrument? Did you take lessons (in school or elsewhere), or are you self-taught? Do you play strictly for your own enjoyment, or are you confident enough in your abilities to play in front of other people? Just curious.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
kcdixiecat

Re: Do You Play A Musical Instrument?

Post by kcdixiecat »

I was the ultimate band geek. I've played piano since I was a kid..even gave lessons for a few years. I was the kid that when the band director needed someone to play a different instrument..he would throw it to me. As a result, I learned the woodwinds. Started out on flute and piccolo..moved on to oboe and sax...even played french horn for concert band one year. That one was the toughest for me...I'm not a brass player.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Interesting question that's never come up before!

Yes, I play the clarinet. I started lessons in 3rd grade and took them for 4 yrs. After that we didn't have a music teacher anymore, so I continued on my own for a while. I'd love to pick it up again, but I need to get my clarinet overhauled. I love listening to clarinet.

I fool around on the drums a bit and do play those in front of other people. Not because I am so able, but more just to jam.

I always wanted to play sax, flute, piano & guitar. Maybe one day!
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Yes I do. Another geek, here's my story.

In 4th grade, created a science/music project consisting of eight soda bottles, hung from strings on a coat/dress rack, each containing a different amount of water. When struck they sounded the eight notes of the scale, enabling me to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or some such opus. :p This was taken as some sign of budding genius and so.....

My parents took me to an accordian teacher in Mayfair, Philadelphia, PA at the age of 8 through 11. I did learn to play most of the early 50's standards (Wheel Of Fortune, Undecided, I'm In The Mood For Love, Begin The Beguine, etc.) as well as the ever popular Lady Of Spain, featured in my USO show appearances at Fort Dix at the age of 12. :D This led to.....

An interest in more "power". In eighth grade I went to the first year of a brand new high school (Bensalem Twp.) outside of Phily, with a huge auditorium, large stage, and brand new Hammond (drawbar) Organ with two huge speaker cabinets/rooms built into each side of the stage. This thing just sat there, under its dust cover, begging for someone to play it. I managed to convince (con) the principle that the organ and I were meant for each other, and was permitted to get the key from the office any day I wanted to practice after school. Armed with that key, and approximately 1,000 pieces of pop sheet music donated to the school, I learned the function of every control on the Hammond, and eventually to play every piece of music in the stack over the next 5 years, practicing at least 3 days per week from 2:30 to 5:00 pm. To keep the band director happy I was also drafted to play the TUBA in the school band. :cool:

At Penn State, no available theatre organ for my practice and pleasure. I participated in geek "stage crew" work, however, enabling me to have night access to the university's concert hall/theatre Schwab Auditorium, with two Steinway Concert Grands, one in each corner of the stage. On nights when the auditorium was "dark" I could get in 3-4 hours practice, converting from organ technique to piano, while entertaining the cleaning crew in the theatre. :o
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Alex

Post by Alex »

In high school I played seven different Brass instruments with a primary focus on Trumpet.

Now I play bass guitar on occassion.
Sine qua non
praline

Post by praline »

I took guitar lessons and could never master holding down the strings enough to make the chord sound clean. I was only in 1st grade and stretching to reach the frets was hard too. I have a beautiful guitar but never had the conviction to learn to play it properly. So I did the next best thing. I married a musician :laughup: DH took lessons as a kid at the old Werlein's on Canal St. His half brother played with Ted Nugent, his father and grandfather were amatuer musicians. DH has been playing ever since. He plays every single day and the enjoyment it gives him is priceless. It is a stress reliever. He is in two bands and gigs out on the weekends. And wherever we go, the guitar and small practice amp come with us. We're at the beach now and the guitar is in our bedroom. And when we evacuate, the car is full of equipment. If push comes to shove, he can support us with his music :)

My DD plays piano and my son at age 5 shows apitude for drums. Our living room is set up for practice at any time with piano, bass, guitar and drum kit. So the kids have been exposed since birth and the house is always full of music. It suits us and who knows? I might be raising a professional musician one day!
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

praline wrote:And wherever we go, the guitar and small practice amp come with us. We're at the beach now and the guitar is in our bedroom. And when we evacuate, the car is full of equipment.
He needs one of these:

http://www.erlewineguitars.com/pgs/chiquita.htm

I went nuts on eBay a few years ago, and now own three of them.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

I was a band geek, before being "discovered" by the choir/vocal ensemble director in high school. I used to be able to pick up any instrument/ percussion and learn it quickly. Now I play flute, piano and guitar... all badly because I never practice. I am a professional singer though. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a link to my websites w/ MP3s. Not sure if its cool to just post it here.
praline

Post by praline »

Low-N-Slow wrote:He needs one of these:

http://www.erlewineguitars.com/pgs/chiquita.htm

I went nuts on eBay a few years ago, and now own three of them.
That's pretty cool LnS. i'll show it to him. He's a guitar collector too. But no matter where we go, the vintage Les Paul comes with us, LOL.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

DivaKitty, I'd love to check out your website!

I think I did long ago, but now it's time to come hear you sing!

Praline, I'd also love to know where your husband plays.
I think it's wonderful to have a musical setup in your home.

On another note, what would be a good guitar for a small teenager who is not going to get very big? Think small hands. This should be a decent guitar that would take her into adulthood. Any thoughts? She really wants to learn, but her hands are too small to comfortably play a regular sized guitar. She's 16 and everyone in her family is small, so her hands won't be growing!

Thanks!