Netflix Streaming?

Blockbuster or Bomb? Hit or Miss? Classic or Cancelled?
Low-N-Slow

Netflix Streaming?

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Anyone here have Netflix, and use it to stream movies via Cox internet? And more specifically, wirelessly through a game console or other device? Pros, cons? The good, the bad, the ugly? TIA.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
dragongrrl

Re: Netflix Streaming?

Post by dragongrrl »

I do. I use my PS3 and watch pretty much every night. I don't like watching TV on my computer and I can't hook my computer up to my TV so this works for me the best.

My favorite stuff is the old TV shows. Put me to sleep quick. There's a lot of good foreign films on there too. It's an eclectic selection.
Now this is more like it.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Thanks. I'm sure that for only $9 a month, between the DVDs and the streaming, the service won't be a waste of money. I'm interested, however, to also hear some feedback regarding any "technical difficulties", like disrupted picture or out-of-synch audio. Occasional, minimal, no problemo?
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Every now and then I get a pixilated moment. It's not often and I don't even notice it.

At one point I went three days not able to access my list. It kept saying I was offline. I wasn't offline. I emailed Netflix and they said to email Playstation which I did. Playstation basically said "Uuuummmmmmm."

On the third day I started visiting every little section of the PS3 and under "what's new" (which looks like some sort of shopping section) an update started uploading and then I could access everything. So that was irritating. It's never happened again and I check "what's new" often now. That's the only problem I've had period.

I love it. There are shows I never got to see that I'm enjoying like Veronica Mars and X files. Also lots of British TV shows that are really good as well.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Cool. And, of course, seeing as how much Cox touts cable doesn't pixelate like satellite, we all know better. It ain't like there's a cable running from HBO to Cox in Elmwood. If it's less than that, it'll be fine. I'll be using it thru a Wii, and, like you, have had an issue occasionally with its update server. I wonder if they have the old Brit-coms like "Good Neighbours"?
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I stream Netflix through my Wii. Nothing but good experiences, I love it.
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Low-N-Slow wrote:Cool. And, of course, seeing as how much Cox touts cable doesn't pixelate like satellite, we all know better. It ain't like there's a cable running from HBO to Cox in Elmwood. If it's less than that, it'll be fine. I'll be using it thru a Wii, and, like you, have had an issue occasionally with its update server. I wonder if they have the old Brit-coms like "Good Neighbours"?
They do. And it's on the Instant Watch menu. Since you recommend, I'll check it out. Thankies.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

I used to love all those old BBC comedy shows. The Two Ronnies, Mr. Bean, Are You Being Served?, To The Manor Born, Blackadder, Monty Python, of course. Good Neighbours might actually seem more contemporary than you would think-- it's about a guy who decides to go "off the grid", quits his job, tries to be self-sustaining. The wife reluctantly buys in, the next-door neighbors(bours) patronize him, hilarity ensues, etc.
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

Oh you're going to have FUN. I know a lot of those are on there. Definitely Blackadder. Enjoy.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Got my Wii disc in the mail Friday, but watched "Outsourced (2006)" on my computer Thursday evening while checking things out. The Wii, over wi-fi, played streamed shows better than the hard-wired PC did. No pixelization in either case, but some occasional lag on the PC.

And I see it was "Good Neighbors" (not "bours") in the US, the original British title being "The Good Life".