Help My Memory!

Blockbuster or Bomb? Hit or Miss? Classic or Cancelled?
LiveOak

Help My Memory!

Post by LiveOak »

I seem to remember a show on PBS in the late 70's, early 80's that had a scene in the normal intro (appeared at the beginning of each episode) of a horse race where a man is thrown from his horse and trampled by the others. Then they show the man with blood seeping through his shirt from his injuries.

I am remembering the show as sort of a macabre soap opera (maybe British)...my first thought was Dark Shadows or The Outer Limits, but I am not sure. If anyone has any memory of this I'd love to know. It's like remembering a snippet of a song, but can't remember the song itself. It's driving me crazy.
Mrs. Fury

Re: Help My Memory!

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Didj experiment with LSD? Or maybe it was a dream... Live Oak I have been searching and cannot come up with anything.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

No LSD, but I was only 10 or 11. I did experiment with pixie sticks though:D...but I clearly remember the intro to this show. I'm talking 1979-1981 approximately. I wish there was some way to look at old PBS program schedules...maybe looking at old newspapers in the library and looking in the TV listings (does the paper still do that anymore?).
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

I think you are on to something. I need to research something at New Orleans Magazine from 1975 or so. They have copies at the office but not on line. Maybe you can find something. I will keep asking and searching. You reminded me about a teacher I had that showed us some disturbing (at the time) PBS shows. We saw people being stoned to death and there was one with something that scared me about someone living in a cabin in the woods. I can't remember much except that it freaked me out. No LSD involved at the time.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
mojo

Post by mojo »

LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

Mojo, thanks so much. I had posted the same question on another website and got the same answer. It really seems to be the likely candidate. I wish I could find the intro to the show online somewhere. You know when you have an image stored away and no context? That's what this is. Sort of like a smell that smells exactly like something from your childhood and you can't place it. The time period is exact (1979) and the subject matter seems right on. I'm curious, did you just remember this show? Where did you dredge up the title?
mojo

Post by mojo »

You are welcome, LiveOak. I did not watch that show on PBS. At about the same time the show was on, I was an avid reader of Dick Francis' books and made the connection with your recollection of a story about a British jockey.

If anyone is interested in crime novels, his books are a good summer read. Also, those TV shows are available on DVD.