Screaming commercials

Blockbuster or Bomb? Hit or Miss? Classic or Cancelled?
Mrs. Fury

Screaming commercials

Post by Mrs. Fury »

I must say that even Billy Mays was not as loud as some of these commercials I hear. Can't "they" fix the tv so the sound is even all the time? AARGH!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
NoNoNanette

Re: Screaming commercials

Post by NoNoNanette »

We've got DISH Network... not too bad. But neighbor has DIRECT TV....Jesus Christ! The commercials will blow you out of the room. Horrible.
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

Isn't it awful? I read something a few years ago that said the technology is there but the advertisers are keeping it from being implemented. They like their screaming ads that wake me up when I've fallen asleep while watching TV.
By the way, does anyone have ATT Uverse yet? I wanted to try it but it looks like it would only make my bill $10 cheaper and I would have to pay the alarm company $10 more for not having a regular phone line.
bdavid

Post by bdavid »

One of Kim Komando's tips of the day recently was a way to stop the volume change with commercials. I must have deleted it, but I'm sure it's on her website. That's one of the more useful daily emails around, by the way. She is a great computer resource.
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Here is the link.
http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=8766

Komando basically says certain surround sound receivers with built in Dolby have the capability of leveling the peaks of volume variances. I have a receiver like this but unless I am watching a movie I don't pipe the television volume through it so I am not sure how well it works. She also says there are other products out there but the reviews of them are mixed.

And one of my favorite screaming commercials (language):
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2010/3 ... my-1765493
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

flyinbayou wrote:Here is the link.
Isn't it crazy that you have to purchase a special device to solve this problem? Geez. The funny thing is it happens to me most while watching public broadcasting channels while I am trying to nap on the weekends. So Laura, I feel your pain!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Alex

Post by Alex »

I hate it - I just use the mute button and use the commercials for conversation time with my wife.
Sine qua non
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

I listen to more radio than TV and find their commercial volumes to be even higher than that of TV commercials, especially car ads.
But more annoying to me is one particular local voice-over lady that has the worst vocal quality of anyone I've heard. Best way I could describe it is as a creaky falsetto. I can't switch the station fast enough when I hear it and can't believe she gets any work.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

flyinbayou wrote:I listen to more radio than TV and find their commercial volumes to be even higher than that of TV commercials, especially car ads.
But more annoying to me is one particular local voice-over lady that has the worst vocal quality of anyone I've heard. Best way I could describe it is as a creaky falsetto. I can't switch the station fast enough when I hear it and can't believe she gets any work.
I find the "Dot's Diner" voice extremely abrasive..... Can't stand it.:)
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."