Slumdog Millionaire - Best Picture?

Blockbuster or Bomb? Hit or Miss? Classic or Cancelled?
Jerry

Slumdog Millionaire - Best Picture?

Post by Jerry »

I started watching this movie last night and stopped halfway through.
Very difficult to follow with the little sub-titles all over the screen.

How did this win best picture?
What am I missing?...Should I finish it?
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
spudly

Re: Slumdog Millionaire - Best Picture?

Post by spudly »

Did you get to the part in the movie where the kid gets locked in the outhouse by the river? Yucko.

Anyway, I'd give it 2 1/2 stars out of 4. The main male lead can't act. The story is so simple they have to do some fancy editing to keep you guessing. Since our new priest in Springfield is from India (and no one can understand him) the movie really did help us out with Indian accents, so it was a plus for us, sad to say.

It has a good ending although I'm not sure why the tub of money towards the end. The whole cast dancing (ala MTV) during the credits is a hoot.

In retrospect, it really didn't deserve the best picture award anymore than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon...just more PC, I guess. IMHO
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

It didn't appeal to me to even want to watch it.
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

I think the movie trailers are trying to portray a feel good movie, so some people are disappointed to find the reality of the subject matter of the film to be a bit disturbing and depressing. sadly, what happens to some children in India and many other countries exists today, and the movie does its best to expose this problem while trying not to lose an audience that cannot handle the harsh realities around us.
I liked the movie for its social message and will watch it again. I'm sure I missed some dialogue along the way. It's not a kick back, give no thought, easy movie and takes some focus to watch. there are lots of flashbacks to tell the story, and the language changes help in telling that story. if you manage to look beyond the social message, the basic storyline is kids fight from poverty and adversity to find their love and happiness and overcome the demons that suppress them.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

I don't like abject poverty at all. I mean the fact that these kids don't even know about Fruit Loops is very disturbing to me. Like Jerry, I stopped watching halfway through the movie.

Still not sure how The Dark Knight wasn't the best movie of 2008.