Books books books!!

Blockbuster or Bomb? Hit or Miss? Classic or Cancelled?
JudiB

Books books books!!

Post by JudiB »

One of my favorite places in the world, (besides the kitchen or a great restaurant) is the library, and has been since I was a small child.

These days I read strictly for escapism... loving a good mystery. What do ya'll read, and what do you recommend?
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
kcdixiecat

Re: Books books books!!

Post by kcdixiecat »

Mine too, Judi! I'll read anything! I usually have at least two books going. I have a book that I read only at night before I go to sleep...and one that stays in the family room that I read while I'm watching tv.

Last night I asked ladywhowaits if she had read anything good lately..she hasn't either. I'm thinking that it's time for me to go plunder around the local library and discover some new authors.

Doug reads mainly historical biographies. Me..like I said..I'll read just about anything. I try to stay away from the scarier stuff....I tend to dream way too much to read anything like that!
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

kc, if you like fun characters, try Lawrence Sanders, the McNalley series.

Ask Doug for some recommendations on historical fiction/biographies, if you don't mind. I haven't read any of those in a long time, and I've always enjoyed them.
JudiB
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Hi guys-

I ordered a KINDLE from amazon.com a few days ago. It'll hold 1500 books. I'm TOO excited!

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wi ... l_edpp_url

Not shipping it out until the 26th, but in the meanwhile, have been ordering free books to download on it to get started. I thought I'd try to get into Oscar Wilde.
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

I love the library and go all the time. Every time I check out they want to take my little red paper card and give me one of the new fangled one. I just say no I like this one just fine. LOL

I check out 4 or 5 books at a time. I will read just about anything. I took some books to the beach "just in case" last week but only glanced at them........Beach Road by James Patterson, 13 Steps Down by Ruth Rendell and another book by Mary Higgins Clark. Ruth Rendell is a first for me and I hope I like it as there were a lot on the shelf by her. I tend to read all by an author in order of publish if they appear to have a running character.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

I love all of those, cstoehr.... Ruth Rendell is a good author, very Brit. I'm pretty sure I've read all of Mary Higgins Clark. Have you tried Barbara Michaels? Good stuff.
JudiB
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

The library & reading was always one of my fav places & things to do.

At the moment, I am reading Eat, Pray, Love.
Glad the chapters are tiny because I've been reading this book for months.
I just don't have the time set aside to read books like I used too.
When I was a kid, I'd read 5 books a week - but there was so much less human interaction!

I'm donating most of my books to have a fundraising benefit book sale this summer - I'm part of the collection team.
I'll let y'all know when that will happen as soon as I know.
And if you are looking to unload any of your books, this would be a good place to do it!
I have no place to store them right now, but maybe soon I will.

Nannette, a kindle sounds like a great idea for you, esp with Dom's situation. How are things going? When do y'all move to Metry?
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

We start our adventure tomorrow, Isabella-

Dom's being admitted to Tulane for 2 nights tomorrow. They're going to put the line in his chest, give him 24 hours of chemo, and start 5 daily injections to move stem cells from bone marrow to blood stream for collection....maybe as early as next week.

His doc is going home to Lebanon for the month of June, so the transplant will be early July.

He'll be hospitalized a good month, I'll bet....then a halfway house for a couple of weeks. So MAYBE in August we'll get our apartment :confused: It's all quite overwhelming.:covri:
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

NoNoNanette wrote:We start our adventure tomorrow, Isabella-

Dom's being admitted to Tulane for 2 nights tomorrow. They're going to put the line in his chest, give him 24 hours of chemo, and start 5 daily injections to move stem cells from bone marrow to blood stream for collection....maybe as early as next week.

His doc is going home to Lebanon for the month of June, so the transplant will be early July.

He'll be hospitalized a good month, I'll bet....then a halfway house for a couple of weeks. So MAYBE in August we'll get our apartment :confused: It's all quite overwhelming.:covri:
I can only imagine. I'll keep you both in my prayers. One day at a time.....