Italian Salad Dressing

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Italian Salad Dressing

Post by JudiB »

I love a good Italian Salad Dressing, and I despise everything I've tasted that comes pre-made in a bottle on the grocery shelf. Blech.

I've always said that there's something I can find that is delicious in every restaurant, even the most-maligned "CHAINS". :)

I could live on the Italian Salad (never ending bowl, or however it's touted) at Olive Garden.

So I googled it... came up with this.... and tinkered with it a bit. I don't have pectin, so I didn't use that... I didn't use NEARLY the amount of salt called for....and all I had was parmesan, etc.... but the basic recipe is what I used. We are LOVING it... it's almost gone, (you only need a tiny bit on your salad, and keep tossing to spread it), so I'm about to make another batch.

OLIVE GARDEN ITALIAN SALAD DRESSING

1/2 cup white or red wine vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 1/2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
2 tablespoons dry pectin (used to thicken jelly)
2 tablespoons beaten egg or egg substitue
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
pinch of oregano
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste

Combine all of the ingredients with a mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds -Or- in a blender on low speed for 30 seconds -Or- use a wand mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Chill at least 1 hour.
Serve over mixed greens or use as a marinade. I like to add the hot peppers in the salad that the restaurant uses. It tastes closer to the original that way.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1615,13 ... 99,00.html
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....