Granola

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Granola

Post by JudiB »

I just made some homemade granola. I can't believe I've never done this before... it's dEEEELICIOUS!

I did a search and read a few recipes, but this is the one I settled on. I made a few changes. I used walnuts instead of cashews, I added Vanilla to the liquid, and I threw in some fresh blueberries at the end of the baking process. I didn't have raisons so I chopped some dates and cranberries.

From Food Network - Alton Brown

GRANOLA

Ingredients
· 3 cups rolled oats
· 1 cup slivered almonds
· 1 cup cashews
· 3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
· 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
· 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
· 1/4 cup vegetable oil
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup raisins
Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.
Attachments
IMG_1998reduced.JPG
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
expatorleanian

Re: Granola

Post by expatorleanian »

Or you coulda just looked in Moore Groceries.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

I didn't check there! I checked yours though. I even checked the old NOPSI one too. Nothing - so I went online. :)
JudiB
expatorleanian

Post by expatorleanian »

I tested the granola recipe for Moore Groceries and made it several different times with different ingredients. The original recipe gave many variations, but my co-author wanted one definitive version, so I used the one I liked best.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Ok, I'll check it out next time.

Do you store it in the fridge? It's absolutely delicious - I wanted to put the fresh blueberries in the last fifteen minute cycle, so they'd burst and make little globs of blueberry goodness... but it browned much quicker than I anticipated. So I turned off the oven, stirred it, added a few blueberries then put it back in the warm oven for a while. Actually that came out very well.
JudiB
expatorleanian

Post by expatorleanian »

I stored it in the pantry in an airtight container, but I didn't have fresh fruit in it. I used dried cherries in the cookbook version, and various other dried fruits in test versions. Do you know they sell dried blueberries? If I were using fresh fruit, I think I'd just add it to the bowl.