Better Broccoli

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
Low-N-Slow

Better Broccoli

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Mrs. Slow had a yen for some broccoli, and picked up some nice fresh on sale last week. While later surfing the cable guide, I happened to spot Alton Brown doing a show on broccoli-- already in progress-- and decided to see if I could get some inspiration. He was showing a rather simple technique, but it turned out being some of the best, most flavorful broccoli I think I've had. He had the tops cut off and divided into florettes. The stems he cut into sticks-- it looked like the main thick parts were cut lengthwise into quarters. I didn't see if he peeled them as well. He put the stem pieces in the bottom of a chef's pan, and placed the florettes on top of them. He then added 1/3 cup of water, covered the pan, and cooked on high for 3 minutes, then on low for 3 minutes. I thought that seemed awfully short, but it came out with vibrant green color, and perfectly al dente. We ate it as-is, with just a pinch of kosher salt.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
dragongrrl

Re: Better Broccoli

Post by dragongrrl »

Low-N-Slow wrote:Mrs. Slow had a yen for some broccoli, and picked up some nice fresh on sale last week. While later surfing the cable guide, I happened to spot Alton Brown doing a show on broccoli-- already in progress-- and decided to see if I could get some inspiration. He was showing a rather simple technique, but it turned out being some of the best, most flavorful broccoli I think I've had. He had the tops cut off and divided into florettes. The stems he cut into sticks-- it looked like the main thick parts were cut lengthwise into quarters. I didn't see if he peeled them as well. He put the stem pieces in the bottom of a chef's pan, and placed the florettes on top of them. He then added 1/3 cup of water, covered the pan, and cooked on high for 3 minutes, then on low for 3 minutes. I thought that seemed awfully short, but it came out with vibrant green color, and perfectly al dente. We ate it as-is, with just a pinch of kosher salt.
I adore broccoli and I'm going to give this a try. Thanks.
Now this is more like it.
Mrs. Fury

!

Post by Mrs. Fury »

I want to do this as well. Thanks!
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
Low-N-Slow

Re: Better Broccoli

Post by Low-N-Slow »

If electric stovetop, would probably be best to have second burner already on low to move to. Although the SS pan I used has a bonded aluminum base, so it probably didn't cool down to low on my gas burner quite as fast as a lighter pan would have.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"