Gelato di Fragola (Strawberry Gelato)

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

1 lb. fresh strawberries
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 c. cold whipping cream
1 1/2 c. cold water
dash of lemon juice (only if fruit isn’t “bright” enough)

Wash and stem quarter berries. Put berries, sugar and water into a blender or food processor and blend until liquid and smooth. Add lemon juice if necessary. Whip the cream until slightly thickened * - like the consistency of buttermilk. Combine the cream with the strawberry mixture and mix thoroughly until blended. The mixture will lose a little of its sweetness when it goes through the freezing process, so if the liquid seems a bit too sweet to you, that’s a good thing. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions for your ice cream maker.

* I don’t bother whipping the cream separately - I just pour it into the blender with everything else and blend all together. I also chill the mixture in the fridge for a few hours before it goes into the ice cream maker.

This basic recipe can be used for other fruits - you just have to taste and adjust the mixture to get the right blend of tart (lemon juice) and sweet (sugar).

I've read that you can add a few teaspoons or so of vodka to the mixture (at the same time as the lemon juice) so that it doesn’t freeze quite so hard, but I have not tried this myself.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!