Pork Loin & Sweet Potato Stew

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
Low-N-Slow

Pork Loin & Sweet Potato Stew

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Mrs. Slow cut this recipe out of one of those women's magazines, and insisted I make it. I cut back the proportions by a third to fit our household, but these are the ingredients as listed. This is comfort food at its best, in an easy, one pot recipe.

1.5 lb. pork loin rib end roast
1/4 C. flour
1.5 t. cumin
1.5 t. chili powder
1/2 t. salt
3 T. oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 can chicken broth (14.5 oz.)
2 med. sweet potatoes (1.5 lb. total)
1 C. frozen peas
3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 T. lime juice

Cut pork loin into 1.5" cube, dredge in flour seasoned with 1 t. cumin, 1 t. chili powder and salt. In large pot, brown meat in 2 T. oil, about 5 min. Add 1 T. oil and onions, and cook until tender, about 3 more minutes.

Add chicken broth and bring to boil, scraping bottom of pot to loosen any browned bits. Cover and reduce heat to med-low, simmer for about 1 hour.

Peel and cut sweet potato into 1.5" cubes. Add to pot along with remaining 1/2 t. each cumin and chili powder. Simmer until very tender, about 30-45 minutes.

Add peas and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, an additional 10-15 minutes until sauce thickens.

Remove from heat and add cilantro and lime juice, stirring to incorporate.

Serves 4-6.

This is a very hearty and flavorful stew, without using wine for flavor, nor beer for body, both of which it very easily could have. I will make this again.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
edible complex

Re: Pork Loin & Sweet Potato Stew

Post by edible complex »

I can also see doing this w/some coconut milk & curry and serve w/coconut jasmine rice. pork and sweet potatoes are so prevalent in the islands, and I first thought that when I saw the subject line. throw in a scotch bonnet and have a cold Red Stripe...cheers!
thnx for posting; I'll add it to my files.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
Low-N-Slow

Re: Pork Loin & Sweet Potato Stew

Post by Low-N-Slow »

I was thinking after-the-fact it didn't even have any garlic in it, and it was still darned good. I usually try to do a new recipe by-the-book before putting my own twist on it, but with this one, I think you can have it both ways-- it's good as-is, and has the potential to be kicked up without too much trouble.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"