Urgent Cabbage Help Required!

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
Schuarta

Urgent Cabbage Help Required!

Post by Schuarta »

Wife wants (old) head of cabbage out of the fridge now! Other than "slaw", what can I do with it this evening? :confused:

I have an hour to come up with something.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Yvette

Re: Urgent Cabbage Help Required!

Post by Yvette »

Cabbage rolls, kim chi (don't know how to spell it)

I "can" a variation of shredded cabbage with hot peppers and pickled onions, red wine vinegar. Let age in tight jar for about a month. Awesome with pork chops or red beans.

Again taken with phone, so quality not so good.

Yvette
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

Unless you are dying to cook or prepare something with it, throw it away and buy a new one when are really dying to. Did she specify that you prepare something out of it or just get rid of it?;)
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Looks like we're going to slice it thin, fry half in a little Terryacki (sp?) sauce tonight, and make slaw with the other half tomorrow. :p

After four months as a bachelor, I brought wife home from Vancouver on Friday, daughter is recovered from concussion, and now my way-of-living is being restructured.
buzd

Post by buzd »

Yvette wrote:Cabbage rolls, kim chi (don't know how to spell it)

I "can" a variation of shredded cabbage with hot peppers and pickled onions, red wine vinegar. Let age in tight jar for about a month. Awesome with pork chops or red beans.

That's basically chow-chow. Try adding some carrots and some cauliflower.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

Smothered cabbage: chop an onion, sliced up some (good quality) smoked sausage. Brown sausage & onions in a little bacon fat, add a bunch of minced garlic & saute until fragrant. Add coarsely chopped cabbage and a little water, cover the pot, and cook until the cabbage is tender. A pinch of sugar, splash of apple juice, and a tsp of vinegar are all nice if added with the liquid.
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Hope it's not four months old!!!
Do you wok? Slice an onion, and chop your cabbage. Get a couple TBS oil smoking hot. Hit the onion for a minute or two, then add the cabbage, tossing the whole time. Add few tsp Soy, couple TBS Oyster or Kung Pao Sauce, can add a bit of stock and a lid to simmer for a couple minutes with a lid on it if you want to smother till soft (I use a pizza pan on top of wok) and then finish with 2 TBS Chile Garlic Sauce. Killer!

Oh...I do this outside on the side burner of the gas grill, or other gas burner systems. Woking inside is not the best place when you have the oil smokin hot!

Enjoy!
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

Oyster wrote:Hope it's not four months old!!!
Do you wok? Slice an onion, and chop your cabbage. Get a couple TBS oil smoking hot. Hit the onion for a minute or two, then add the cabbage, tossing the whole time. Add few tsp Soy, couple TBS Oyster or Kung Pao Sauce, can add a bit of stock and a lid to simmer for a couple minutes with a lid on it if you want to smother till soft (I use a pizza pan on top of wok) and then finish with 2 TBS Chile Garlic Sauce. Killer!

Oh...I do this outside on the side burner of the gas grill, or other gas burner systems. Woking inside is not the best place when you have the oil smokin hot!

Enjoy!
I do something similar, but also add sliced mushrooms and a splash of rice wine vinegar.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Oyster wrote:Hope it's not four months old!!!

Enjoy!

Only a week and a half old. This is what we basicly did. And in a wok. Though not quite "smokin" as we were indoors and my smoke detectors are quite sensitive.

Thanks.:toast: