Tomato Pie

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
gumbo lover

Tomato Pie

Post by gumbo lover »

Anyone have a method they like?

I haven't made one in a while and I just winged it when I did.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
CamillaCute

Re: Tomato Pie

Post by CamillaCute »

I love tomato pie! I use a Pillsbury crust and cook it a bit before filling. When cool, I layer tomatoes, fresh basil chiffonade, few vidalia slices, salt, pepper, granulated garlic powder and a little bit of shredded mozzarella. Then another layer of same. I then mix about 1/4 cup light mayo with 1/4 to 1/2 cup parmesan and/or romano together well and spread as evenly as possible over tomato mixture. Top with a bit more parm/romano. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Broil for about 2-3 minutes to brown cheese. Let cool a bit and WOW! So delicious!

CC
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Never heard of it. Sounds (good) like cold brrrrrrr weather food.

Is it from a certain part of the country?
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

I just arrived in Kentucky yesterday. Mom had a basket of tomatoes that needed to be eaten..(damn, the bad luck)...so, this is what I have in the oven baking at the moment. Well, the basic recipe..then I'll tell you what I did differently!

Ingredients
1 (8-oz.) package diced cooked ham
1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 4 onions)
1 (9-inch) frozen unbaked pie shell
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 large egg
1/3 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Garnishes: fresh basil sprigs, tomato slices

Preparation
1. Sauté ham and green onions in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until ham is brown and any liquid evaporates.
2. Brush bottom of pie shell evenly with mustard; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Spoon ham mixture evenly over cheese, and top with single layer of sliced tomatoes.

3. Beat egg and half-and-half with a fork until blended; pour over tomatoes. Sprinkle evenly with basil, pepper, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

4. Bake on lowest oven rack at 425° for 20 to 23 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve; garnish, if desired.

Yield
Makes 4 to 6 servings

I didn't use ham..I used bacon. I fried a package of bacon..OMG yes..the entire package..chopped it up and used it in place of the ham. Then I used two beefsteak tomatoes. It smells WONDERFUL. I'll tell you how it turned out after I try it.
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Oh wow, thanks ya'll.

I've never heard of this before, and it sounds WONDERFUL! Thank you, I can't wait to try it!
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

I made the usual one with the mayo topping last night. It's awfully rich, though. Basically, you pre cook a pie shell. I layered the bottom with thin sliced Vidalia onions, topped those with drained slices of homegrown tomatoes and then fresh basil, chiffonade. I mixed a cup of mayo with mozz and parm. cheeses, chopped green onions and cayenne. Baked for about 35 minutes at 350.

I finally remembered what I used to do, which was to prebake the pie shell a bit and then line the bottom with whole mild mozz, then the tomato slices. Seasoned the tomatoes with S & P and then drizzled with olive oil. Topped that with the cut basil and baked for about 30 minutes. I believe I like this version better, though last night's was pretty good.
“It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” Lewis Grizzard
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... TART-10151

Best tomato and onion pie I've ever tasted!
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I never heard of tomato pie until some one recently posted about one at August. These sound really good. I'm going to have to play around and see what I come up with. Thanks yall. Great ideas.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

You've got my attention. I've copied the recipes and will try one soon. A good item to compare against my favorite of Fried Red Tomatoes. I'll let you know my results with a tomato pie.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
gumbo lover

Post by gumbo lover »

They are wonderful with homegrown tomatoes. You can search for some recipes. Most of them are similar and are a version of what Paula Dean (I think) has on the food network site. That one's easy to play with if you want to go that route. OR, you can go the route of the quiche texture with the eggs OR the simple version I described above and you can tinker with herbs etc...

Some folks use plum tomatoes when the homegrown are out of season or the hot house will do, but there's nothing like this with homegrowns.

Also, some recipes suggest peeling the tomatoes. I don't find that necessary, but draining them is truly necessary. Might not be if you use grape tomatoes, though, which I thought about since getting some of the Liuzza Creole grape tomatoes today. (They are tasty.) Another tip is that the pie crust will crisp better on the bottom if you bake it on a baking sheet-with regard to premade crusts in a foil pan.

I do not make my own pie crust. It's just not something that interests me and this is more of a quickie meal for me. Last night, I used a Marie Callender's frozen crust for the first time and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Nothing beats homemade, but time is of the essence sometimes.