Tacos & Guac Just Like Mama's

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
ratcheese

Tacos & Guac Just Like Mama's

Post by ratcheese »

I make the world's best tacos. Actually they are my Mother's recipe, which I grew up on. And they are the indisputable, undeniable, have people standing-in-line good. They are so unique and fabulous, I have often, often, thought of opening my own taco joint.

The reason I mention my Mother's tacos is because I'm considering giving you guys who are interested in Mexican Food, the recipe. I'm 54 now, and I don't think I'll ever open that Taco Joint and they are too good to keep a secret.

So, if any adventurous souls would like to make Mama's Tacos at home, from an old family recipe, let me know. I'll give it to you.
Jesse

Re: Tacos & Guac Just Like Mama's

Post by Jesse »

ratcheese wrote:So, if any adventurous souls would like to make Mama's Tacos at home, from an old family recipe, let me know. I'll give it to you.
I'm interested!
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Ok Jesse, this is the first day off I've had in a while, so bear with me as I've had a few already!

These are Matamoras Style, or Northern Mexican w/ ground meat and fried tortillas

I will break this up into three stages/and I am not a measuring cook

The salad:
Diced onion
Diced tomato
Iceberg lettuce(do not substitute, you need the crispness)
White vinegar
Plain sugar
mix the vinegar and sugar dressing so it is not overly sweet/ just enough to off-set the vinegar
Make the salad first as it will keep

The meat:
Use the best hamburger meat, the lowest fat content
Brown and season with good Chile Powder (which is a deep red color--beware of McCormick and the likes, find the freshest possible) The predominant flavor is Chile, so go heavy on it, because the salad is going to be sweet and sour, which will off-set the spiciness.
Add a little Nutmeg and Cinnamon to taste.
You can also simmer with fresh Pomegranate Seed, Orange zest, and/or Pine Nuts/that's up to you and what you have available.

Shells: The best Corn Tortillas are white, not yellow, and thin. There is no such thing as crisp taco shells in real tacos--that is a fast food. Tortillas can be fried crisp for things like Tostadas or Chalupas, but Tacos should never be crisp--think of al-dente pasta and New Orleans style flash fried seafood--you flash fry at high temps to moisturize and texturize, but if you fry too long, or at too low temp, it will be greasy, so you want the oil at a very high temp so you can slide the tortilla into the oil and fold it, using two forks. Fry for maybe 15 seconds--just long enough that it will hold its shape. Let the tortilla lay flat, in the oil, for a few seconds before you try to fold it with the forks--then turn it on each side once. Turn upside down and let drain on paper towel and they will be greasless if you have it right. (the first one is almost always a throw-away.) This only takes one inch of oil in a frying pan, or less. No need to deep fry. They just need to hold their shape. Turn them with the forks until you have a taco shell.

Now you need to slice an avocado in thin slices for garnish and use some fresh cilantro if you want.

I did not mention salt, that is up to you, but never use black pepper in Mexican cooking. Rick Bayless is full of ****. Mexicans hate black pepper for the most part. Beware of any Mexican recipe that calls for black pepper.

This is the first time this recipe has been outside my family and I assure you Mom is STILL alive and kickin' and cookin' tacos for everyone in Texas!

I hope those instructions were clear and I hope you have fun and enjoy them as much as I have all my life. When I was young and laying in a foxhole on the other side of the world, these tacos are what I dreamed of.
Admin

Post by Admin »

When you say "chile powder", do you mean ground chile peppers only, or the stuff with cumin and salt, etc. mixed in? I'd like to copy this to the Recipes section for posterity.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Admin wrote:When you say "chile powder", do you mean ground chile peppers only, or the stuff with cumin and salt, etc. mixed in? I'd like to copy this to the Recipes section for posterity.
Chile powder is pure ground chile; I believe it is actually Ancho Chile, but I wouldn't swear on it; it is easily found at most stores today. But, your question is well taken--Pure Chile Powder Only--no additives!

AND----your reference to Cumin reminds me that a little cumin never hurts in any Mexican dish--they use it like we use black pepper.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

A lot of people have chili powder-- the one with the cumin, garlic, salt and spices-- in the pantry, and they tend to grab it without thinking when the recipe calls for chile powder. If the recipe also calls for salt and cumin, too, the result can be downright nasty.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Thanks ratcheese, I will give it a try within a couple weeks! I'm sure everyone will love it!
JudiB

Post by JudiB »

Oh THANK YOU, ratcheese!!

This looks wonderful. You don't top with any cheese then? (my mouth is watering). I can't wait to try this.
JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

JudiB wrote:Oh THANK YOU, ratcheese!!

This looks wonderful. You don't top with any cheese then? (my mouth is watering). I can't wait to try this.
Some of my family use cheese--my sister uses cheese, but she is a radiologist, so...
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

ratcheese wrote: Also, I make the world's best tacos. Actually they are my Mother's recipe, which I grew up on. And they are the indisputable, undeniable, have people standing-in-line good. They are so unique and fabulous, I have often, often, thought of opening my own taco joint.

The reason I mention my Mother's tacos is because I'm considering giving you guys who are interested in Mexican Food, the recipe. I'm 54 now, and I don't think I'll ever open that Taco Joint and they are too good to keep a secret.

So, if any adventurous souls would like to make Mama's Tacos at home, from an old family recipe, let me know. I'll give it to you.
OMG! Thank you, thank you! I feel the love!

Now, I understand that you are not getting any younger, but 54 is young!

Ok, so you're not going to open the Taco Joint!
Did you ever think about just having a Taco Dinner?

Like some churches have a fish fry during lent?
Friday night Taco Dinner sounds like a great idea for after Lent!

Give it a thought, ok? ;) :tasty: