Tacos & Guac Just Like Mama's

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
JudiB

Re: Pancho's

Post by JudiB »

Before we go take a nap, LOL, I had to tell you how much we enjoyed this meal, ratcheese.

DEEEElicious, and a blast to make, too. It was funny trying to fold the tortillas in half though.... do these look all right? They sure were good, but I fried them a lot longer than five seconds.

I added salt, cheddar cheese, black olives... but other than that stayed true to your instructions. That salad is just delicious. I think I could have added more chili powder to the meat mixture though.

Gosh we ate TOO MUCH! :) Sorry 'bout the messy countertop but I was too hungry to clear everything off for a good pic.

JudiB
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.....
Jesse

Re: Tacos & Guac Just Like Mama's

Post by Jesse »

They look great! I can't wait to give em a try.
ratcheese

Re: Pancho's

Post by ratcheese »

JudiB wrote:Before we go take a nap, LOL, I had to tell you how much we enjoyed this meal, ratcheese.

DEEEElicious, and a blast to make, too. It was funny trying to fold the tortillas in half though.... do these look all right? They sure were good, but I fried them a lot longer than five seconds.

I added salt, cheddar cheese, black olives... but other than that stayed true to your instructions. That salad is just delicious. I think I could have added more chili powder to the meat mixture though.

Gosh we ate TOO MUCH! :) Sorry 'bout the messy countertop but I was too hungry to clear everything off for a good pic.

I'm absolutely thrilled you made them! You are the first person outside my family to ever them!

The five second rule may have been too short. I'm so used to making them, I don't even think about it.

It looks like you got the hang of it though.

Longer is crisper.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Isabella Maja wrote:Thanks for the guacamole recipe!
I'd love your refried beans N rice methods.
Don't worry about getting it into a recipe that reads like a book.

Most of us cook. Some of us never really follow a "recipe" per se, but get the feel & go with it. Some of us do follow recipes, but know enough about cooking that they can easily follow you.

We're waiting with bated breath!
:toast:
Ask and ye shall receive, Isabella.

We are very lucky to have Camillia Beans, here in New Orleans. They are clean, uniform beans that I use a lot. Also, Whole Foods has killer dried Pintos.

To soak or not to soak, that is the question.

For the fullest flavored beans, do not soak. Bring water to full boil, add beans and boil for a while, turn down to a simmer, stirring occasionally to avoid scalding, and cook for three hours or so. No salt until finished, you can add a bit of Rotel Tomatoes or chili powder if you want, but not much. Purified water helps, too.

For the easiest beans, soak overnight while you sleep, follow directions above and the beans will cook in half the time. Soak with a little baking soda if you have a gaseuos disorder resulting from beans.

Here's every Mexican housewife's secret to making perfect refritos: ladle them into the blender and turn it on. Adjust thickness, texture with the juice.

I always liked them with a little shredded cheese on top. They make for great nachos, too--now that you know how to make your own tortilla chips.
Spread them out individually in a baking dish, they can be touching but not heaped on top of each other in pile, top with a little refried beans, top that with some shredded cheese, top that with a sliver of pickled jalapeno (Herdez brand in the can, is the best), broil for a few minutes, watch them so they don't burn. Add beer or Margaritas and you are a hit!

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Tchoupitoulas wrote:I'd give my right arm to find some good Mole' in NO.
Here you go: with the understanding that we are dealing with limited ingredients here in NOLA, we can't make the variety, or quality of Mole that you get in Ouahaca, but I will give you the same recipe that most Mexican's use at home and I love it.

Boil a cut-up chicken with salt, bay leaves, and a handful of Juniper Berries. Put on plate and cover while reserving the broth.

Find a bottled Mole paste called Dona Maria at the grocery. Robert's and Rouse's both have it. Actually, it doesn't even have to be that brand, just start with a bottle paste.

Add four parts of the chicken broth to the one part of paste

Add a big, heaping tablespoon of high quality, pure peanut butter. DO NOT use Jif, Skippy, or anything other than Smooth Smucker's or the best peanut butter is a brand called Arrowhead Mills. Pure peanuts only and smooth.

Simmer the mole until it is smooth and consistent. (Mash the paste with a fork as it is like a brick. Then add the chicken back to the Mole, cover, and let sit for a few before serving.

Serve with refrieds, rice, and tortillas.

I made it for Easter and it was great.
Isabella Maja

Re: Tacos & Guac Just Like Mama's

Post by Isabella Maja »

Aw, Ratcheese, thank ya baby.

I think we are now going to have chicken mole this weekend.
Hmm, or maybe turkey mole.

I do use Dona Maria, but never added extra peanut butter!
Great idea. I get mine freshly ground at Whole Foods.

I like cheese with my refried beans as well.
I never knew that the pintos at WF were really good!
I'll have to try them.

Thanks so much for all of your homecooking tips!
And yeah, I was impressed too Judi, and tho not quite surprised, that you jumped on it so fast!
She's known for that Ratcheese!