Pork Loin: What Else To Do With It???

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
Jerry

Pork Loin: What Else To Do With It???

Post by Jerry »

Beside beating it with a hammer and panneing it for "parmesan".

I got a whole boneless loin at Sams today and am looking for some variations...for a dinner for two.

She doesn't like it cooked whole because it gets "tough"...even when I cook it med/rare.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Low-N-Slow

Re: Pork Loin: What Else To Do With It???

Post by Low-N-Slow »

A whole boneless pork loin would be more like dinner for 22. Are you planning on freezing the rest, or maye you have pork tenderloin instead?

See your edit. How big of a piece do you plan to cook?
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

Wow, there are so many uses for a pork loin.

Try taking a section of it and cutting into small pieces. Season and pan sear. Remove from pan. Add chopped onion and green and red bell pepper (and maybe some carrot) and cook down somewhat. Add chopped (fresh) garlic, then some chicken stock. Reduce a bit and add a jar of Thai peanut sauce. Cook to desired contistency. Serve over good white rice (jasmine, basmatti, etc.). Very good!
Shannon

Post by Shannon »

Slice into 'chops', season with salt, pepper, garlic and brown well on both sides (to a pretty dark golden brown).

Remove from skillet, add diced onions, peppers, and fresh minced garlic. Stir around until the onions start to carmelize. Deglaze with chicken stock (or whatever stock you have). Add stock to make a decent gravy.

Return the meat to the pan, and let simmer for a few minutes. Add a pinch of ground clove (it doesn't take much, ground clove is strong), and some sugar (I just pour it in - I think a tablespoon maybe?). Thicken the gravy/sauce with cornstarch and water.

Serve over rice. It's a very different gravy. Has the sweet/salty component and the clove goes well with the pork.

My husband made this up one night probably 15 years ago and it has been in our regular rotation since. Served it to many guests in our home and they always love it.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I faced this "problem" last night. I cut 4 medallions about 1/4" thick, then julienned them with all the veggies from the recent parade (carrots, cabbage, onions, celery). Also added some mushrooms and deglazed with good soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Then added a little beef broth and tightened with a pinch of corn starch (yeah, I know it's cheating).

You can serve it like moo shoo pork (if you have pancakes and plum sauce) or over rice or pasta.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Cut a couple of nice thick slices. (maybe an inch) Pound in fennel seeds and garlic.

Brown.

Finish off with some red wine and whatever.... like a nice, lean Italian sausage.
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

Jerry wrote:Beside beating it with a hammer and panneing it for "parmesan".

I got a whole boneless loin at Sams today and am looking for some variations...for a dinner for two.

She doesn't like it cooked whole because it gets "tough"...even when I cook it med/rare.
I saw those loins today...what beauties. they were about $13.00 and at least 2 feet long. oh my. if i had room in the freezer, I would have snapped one up. :whip:

you could cube it and do an Indian (yellow) curry. I use cumin, garlic, ginger, cardamom, curcumin/turmeric, curry, and potatoes to make if creamy. usually use chicken thighs as they have some fat on them which liquefies and add water as need to get it saucy. the potatoes will disintegrate to give it consistency. w/pork, you might to add some stock or take it in another direction w/coconut milk, green curry paste and top w/cilantro.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Low-N-Slow wrote:A whole boneless pork loin would be more like dinner for 22. Are you planning on freezing the rest, or maye you have pork tenderloin instead?

See your edit. How big of a piece do you plan to cook?
It's boneless loin not tenerloin....they didn't have those today.
I usually cut most of it in 1" slices and freeze 2 in a zip lock for breading and frying...just me and my better half...the bird doesn't eat much...but ALWAYS must have a taste of whatever we're eating.

Yes, I freeze most of it....It last me about 6 weeks eating some twice a week.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think the cubed stir fry route sounds good.

It was about 2 feet long and $13.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Cut nice and thick and grill just as you do a thick cut pork chop.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Jerry wrote:just me and my better half...the bird doesn't eat much...but ALWAYS must have a taste of whatever we're eating.

Yes, I freeze most of it....It last me about 6 weeks eating some twice a week.
I was going to suggest cutting a small roast from it, and brining and stuffing. I did one about 3.5 pounds last holiday season that turned out quite well, but, in retrospect, it was even more than a small household could finish off before trash time.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"