Fresh Turnips

Share Ya Mama's Best Dishes Here. We Won't Tell Her!
EatinAintCheatin

Fresh Turnips

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Someone gave me about a half dozen fresh turnips from their garden. The only way I ever ate them, when my grandpa was alive and had his garden, was to grate them, drizzle olive oil over them and season them with salt and pepper. Sometimes add a splash of red vinegar. This was generally our salad course.

How do you cook them? And special recipes?
hungryone

Re: Fresh Turnips

Post by hungryone »

Boil & mash, half-n-half with potatoes. The potatoes "lighten" the turnip flavor a little. I also cut up turnip into small cubes to add to vegetable soup.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

I hope they gave you the greens. Chop into bite size pieces and boil with the greens. Dose liberally with hot vinegar before eating. ps put some bacon, ham, tasso, or salt pork in with it if you want.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

We enjoy boiled, coarsely chopped buttered and peppered turnips. We've been throwing a few turnips in our seafood boils, too.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:Someone gave me about a half dozen fresh turnips from their garden. The only way I ever ate them, when my grandpa was alive and had his garden, was to grate them, drizzle olive oil over them and season them with salt and pepper. Sometimes add a splash of red vinegar. This was generally our salad course.

How do you cook them? And special recipes?
I think Grandpa's version sounds awesome!
DivaKitty

Post by DivaKitty »

I made a potato and turnip gratin recently that was pretty good. I tried to make it low-fat, silly me! Just cut the potatoes and the turnips the same size and alternate them in the dish. Sprinkle with salt, white pepper, nutmeg, some heavy cream. Top with cheese or bread crumbs or both and dot with butter and drizzle w/ olive oil. (That was not the version I made!) You can add onions and/ or garlic if you like.