New Metairie Restaurant

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Jerry

Re: new metairie restaurant

Post by Jerry »

chefairline wrote:Jerry,
You are lucky to be located on the end by Severn rather being buried somewhere in the middle. However, the end spot doesn't seem to help Roo's, Maybe there are other issues.

BTW, would you rank the sandwiches places along and around the Severn stretch.
A lot of people fly by our mall once they past 17t. St. towards W. Esplanade...some stop in and state: "I've been going by here for 4 years and never knew etc., etc., etc.

As for the Severn Sandwhich seen is dismal...Roo's does okay for a seafood po-boy and there's Phil's Grill for burgers.
Otherwise the best food is Equator, China Rose, Dragos and Peppermill.

A place called Black & Gold Grill was supposed to be in the old Ragusa's spot but nothing is going on there....I think they opened and closed right away...The changeable pole sign says "Steak Night" but some of the letters have fallen off.
....not good Larry
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
BTG

Post by BTG »

LiveOak wrote:I'd love to see someone do something with Foodies. Great building and prime location.
I have been hearing for a few years now that some old guy with more money than god owns the land as well as a bunch around there and he is not going to lower the price. It is kind of like a game for him. The rent is something really off the charts expensive.

The Iranian/Persian place is going to have a hard time if they can't draw people in from N.O. The old folks who live on this end of Metairie aren't going to be trying that place. I can hear the people right now in Dorignacs at breakfast talking about it being a plot against America or something. :)

Also of note is the Oasis Specialty Food(or something like that) on Oaklawn behind the Burger King. Kind of interested in seeing what that turns out to be.

The old Mobi Dicks bar(Veterans at Aurora) has been under renovations for about a year now. It appears one person must be doing all the work by himself. I found on the internet that the name is going to be Tina's Baja Cantina. Name kind of strikes me as odd. One of the owners/managers looks to be one of the people from the old Jason Doyle restaurant group from downtown. They had the Wine Loft, Banditos, and Huey's Diner(or something like that). This is stumbling home from my home, but the idea isn't thrilling me right now.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

BTG wrote:I have been hearing for a few years now that some old guy with more money than god owns the land
Could this be Edwin Edwards?...That place seems to be vacant about as long as he's been away...

But then what would God need money for?:toast:
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Jerry wrote:Opening a new business around here is not easy...that location is likey high rent.
Expenses are high and people here are peculiar about where they shop/dine.

We opened a new business here in Metairie 4 years ago and many friends/family have never been in to have a look...
...it's not easy.

But my thanks to Rae, Holly, Laura, Beth, Henry and Bam-Bam for your support.
As a small biz owner, I agree with you 100%.
That said, I have at least tried to get to your shop :whip:
& I have sent a few friends your way!
But I do promise I'll do better this year!

Maybe I'll come in & buy myself a birthday present. ;)
chefairline

Post by chefairline »

Jerry wrote:..some stop in and state: "I've been going by here for 4 years and never knew etc., etc., etc.
I hear that exact comment also. The outside appearance is what throws them. Until they finally come in and say: WOW, I didn't realize you had all this.
Celebrate New Orleans! Eat a po'boy, not a SUB.
josemama

Post by josemama »

I own the business next door. The owner bought the property about 18 months ago for around 800k. The walls are solid poured concrete and he spent upwards of 300k on that and the parking lot. So I'd say he's got at least 2 mil sunk into it by the time alls said and done. He is a middle eastern gentleman who is a pharmist by trade. Everything he's done thus far has been first class. The interior will have a large dining room, a "lounge", and some space for private parties. I asked him what his menu was going to be like and he said, grilled food...steaks and the like, rice, ect. I hope its more interesting/exciting than he made it out to be. I also hope he makes it, he seems like a nice enough guy and I would love a good place next door. Although I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not that the new middle eastern neighboor has built what amounts to a bomb shelter next door;)
Bobby

Re: New Metairie Restaurant

Post by Bobby »

Well, I am absolutely thrilled to hear that this is going to be a Persian restaurant. I'm tired of having to wait till I'm in Houston or another big city to eat this delicious cuisine!

Not to mention it's not far from my house. Anybody know when it will be opening?

For whomever mentioned that this place is going to have to draw people from N.O. it really shouldn't be that hard. Cyrus is located on the New Orleans end of Veterans and it's only a quick ride from Nola. I mean really.

If you have never had Persian food, well get ready to be amazed. I'm drooling already. :)
simplysue

Re: New Metairie Restaurant

Post by simplysue »

For those curious about this place- Cyrus restaurant's "Now Open" sign went up on Friday. It is located next to Dorignac's supermarket in Metairie; the restaurant would be the 600 block of Veterans.

I pass this way often and have been wondering when it would open.