Lakeview Lunch Memories

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Low-N-Slow

Lakeview Lunch Memories

Post by Low-N-Slow »

I happened to be in Norco this past week around lunch time. The name Lovecchio's on a place on Apple Street struck a chord, as I recalled a deli of the same name on Harrison in Lakeview many years before, and I wondered if there might be a connection. A quick perusal of the menu confirmed my suspicions, as did a couple of photos of post-Katrina Harrison Avenue hanging on the walls.

On the sandwich menu, in addition to the Ferdi Special I remembered, was also a "Ruby Special", and a "Matt Stephan". Although I know that cousins of Ruby's started the place on Harrison, it is she and her son Matt I will always remember from the late 70s and early 80s as fixtures of the Lakeview establishment. The current proprietress in Norco seemed vaguely familiar, and, after some brief conversation, identified herself as Matt's sister.

My Ferdi came out with bread toasted perfectly crisp on the outside, and soft and warm on the inside. Ham, roast beef, Swiss, and creole mustard, dressed with lettuce, tomatoes, and pickle-- one bite was enough to instantly transport me back 30 years.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
Annie Laurie

Re: Lakeview Lunch Memories

Post by Annie Laurie »

L & S,
Thank you for posting this...I live in Destrehan, and will give this place
a try. Is it closer to River Rd. or Airline Hwy.?
Annie Laurie
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

29 Apple, just off River Rd.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

wow...my grandparents lived on Apple St. across the appliance store. we would spend summers there and walk to the grocer on River Rd and also waited for the meat man to drive thru the hood to get candy and those little wax bottles of root beers. what fun chewing wax was back then.
remember Lovecchio's from my Lakeview daze, but thanks for the Norco shout out too. the grocer is still there and makes killer sausage...fyi.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

We stopped in the grocery a couple of weekends ago (Gre'aud's) and it looked interesting. Is Lovecchio's open Saturdays?
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Admin

Post by Admin »

Jeeves wrote:Is Lovecchio's open Saturdays?
11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

When I moved into my first apartment on Canal Blvd. way back when I went to Lovecchio's on Harrison my very first night I lived there. I had no groceries...milk, bread, eggs, nothing. Typical male planning.

Lakeview Deli, which has taken over some of the space, is delicious though.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Admin wrote:11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Thanks, Boss. We frequently use the Spillway recreation area on weekends and Lovecchio's is just a few minutes away.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com