Houston Recs

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
TulaneRebel

Re: Houston Recs

Post by TulaneRebel »

Thanks yall. I went ahead and made a reservation at Rainbow Lodge. Everyone I've talked to has either said or heard great things about it. I'll let you know how the meal ends up.
TulaneRebel

Post by TulaneRebel »

Friday dinner at Rainbow Lodge. Cocktail service was absurdly slow and nearly killed the meal. However, once things started flowing it was very good. Appetizer sampler included antelope & boar sausage, grilled venison medallions, scallops, and shrimp. All delicious, but the venison was the winner. Magnum of Stag's Leap cab really washed everything down nicely. For entrees, most people had the special (buffalo steak with lump crabmeat and hollandaise, like something you would order at Galatoire's if it were in Wyoming) or antelope loin. Both were good. Recommended.

Saturday brunch at Cyclone Anaya's. Nothing says "it's gonna be a great day" like multiple fishbowl margaritas before noon. The ceviche and guacamole were both very good. Recommended.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

TulaneRebel wrote:For entrees, most people had the special (buffalo steak with lump crabmeat and hollandaise, like something you would order at Galatoire's if it were in Wyoming)
That's gotta be the best line I've read in a while :D The follow up wasn't bad either
Nothing says "it's gonna be a great day" like multiple fishbowl margaritas before noon. :toast:
wish I never left

Post by wish I never left »

I'm glad to hear your meal at Rainbow Lodge went well. It's practically down the street from where I live so I need to go back and give it a try with the new chef.

I'm also glad to hear that you had a good meal at Cyclone Anaya's. The head chef there has had a a rather tumultuous recent history and, because of some absolutely stellar anniversary dinners he has made for me, I am extremely happy to hear he's found a good landing place. If anyone should be curious to read more about it, here's a brief writeup from the local daily paper's food blog:

http://blogs.chron.com/forkandcork/2010 ... ot_he.html
missin nawlins

Post by missin nawlins »

Someone recommended Stella Sola. I second that. Owned by same chef of Reef but I like Stella Sola better.