Ugly lawn

Don't Be Contrary, Mary. Tell Us About Your Garden.
RouxTheDay

Ugly lawn

Post by RouxTheDay »

I have been spending HOURS in my garden/yard.
It seems that there are new breeds of weeds in my lawn. I started trying to pull them all but that would have taken 2 days so I finally just mowed it yesterday afternoon. I have a feeling that by the time I get home tonight, it will be overgrown again.
I'm going to "Weed and Feed" it pretty good today. I know it's supposed to rain tonight-isn't that a good time to fertilize?
There is very little green now that I've mowed it-the clovers were the healthiest thing in the lawn.:mad:
buzd

Re: Ugly lawn

Post by buzd »

I just did that and it killed A LOT of stuff. Now my lawn is all splotchy. It looks like what's left is mostly grass, but that's only phase 1. I'm considering doing it again, and then I'm going to reseed it and put some turf builder on it.

(I hope my neighbor doesn't mind I hit some of his lawn too. :covri:)
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

buzd wrote:...
(I hope my neighbor doesn't mind I hit some of his lawn too. :covri:)

I did that last year. My neighbor never did say anything but considering that I cut 1/2 of her lawn a few times because she'd poop out, she knew better.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

Roux,
Do you live in my neighborhood? My neighbors have this plot against me sleeping in on Saturday. One starts with cutting his grass and using the blower at 6:30a.m., then the next starts up and the next. I wish they would all cut at the same time. I listen to the mowers & blowers through 2p.m. on weekends.
But my abolute favorite is this crazy guy across the street. He edges his yard with a weedeater, then cuts the lawn, then edges again and will sometimes even cut again. Then he blows all his clippings into his neighbor's yard. I'm just waiting to hear the sirens one day when the one that gets the clippings catches him.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

LauraMc wrote:Roux,
Do you live in my neighborhood? My neighbors have this plot against me sleeping in on Saturday. One starts with cutting his grass and using the blower at 6:30a.m., then the next starts up and the next. I wish they would all cut at the same time. I listen to the mowers & blowers through 2p.m. on weekends.
But my abolute favorite is this crazy guy across the street. He edges his yard with a weedeater, then cuts the lawn, then edges again and will sometimes even cut again. Then he blows all his clippings into his neighbor's yard. I'm just waiting to hear the sirens one day when the one that gets the clippings catches him.
uh oh...Laura, you know where I live...am I your neighbor? I give Doug hell every summer because come Saturday morning..he's out there mowing before 8 am.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I have got the same issue with weeds. I plan to weed and feed as well. I should do it today but am to lazy to go to the store to buy any - lol.
Sine qua non
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

LOL....I don't think I live near any of you but I do get an early start when I cut on the weekends.

I didn't get to weed and feed either. I was worn out and starving after my swim in the lake and got lazy.:(
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

After you weed and feed (with dry stuff, I mean) you need to water really well or do it right before you KNOW it will rain. It's bad for it to sit on your grass without getting wet...it can kill it in fact. The weed killing effects of this will take a couple weeks, so don't get anxious after a few days. I laid weed-n-feed three weeks ago, and just mowed for the first time last weekend. I shouldn't see more than a few weeds come back after the mowing. The ones that do will die as it gets hotter. The longer winter/spring seem to have kept the lawns brown for longer than normal.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Just reread.

Buzd: DONT REFERTILIZE BEFORE 8 WEEKS HAS PASSED!!! It will kill your lawn, almost certainly. If you still have weed issues, buy a broadleaf killer only and treat the yard with that. If you weed and feed too much, or again too soon, you will kill the grass.!
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

kcdixiecat wrote:uh oh...Laura, you know where I live...am I your neighbor? I give Doug hell every summer because come Saturday morning..he's out there mowing before 8 am.

LOL, I'm further toward the city than you. If I had to cut the grass in the summer, I'd be out at the break of dawn to beat the heat. Luckily, we have a great neighborhood guy that cuts the grass dirt cheap.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

Is this the time to discuss blowers? You can cut your lawn at 7:00 am any time near me, but don't dare bring a blower near me (OR MY CARS) ever. All the damn blowers do is move someone else's dirt, dust, grass and debres, on to my property (CARS). :mad:

If the jokers in DC really want to achieve something, OUTLAW BLOWERS!!!

Bring back the RAKE!!!
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."