Cilantro: Who's Growing It?

Don't Be Contrary, Mary. Tell Us About Your Garden.
Low-N-Slow

Cilantro: Who's Growing It?

Post by Low-N-Slow »

I've never had any success growing cilantro from seed, and in the past have just said, "It's 89 cents a bunch. Don't bother." But I always read that it's not supposed to be all that difficult. A couple of weeks ago, I set up a seed tray outside, in partial shade, and planted a dozen seeds in grow plugs. I put them in a drain and fill table set up to soak them for a half hour or so twice a day. Only one sprouted, but it looks healthy, and has its first true leaf. I read that each seed is actually a pod with two seeds inside it, and you should gently crack the shell and soak overnight before planting. I'm sure there are people who say they just throw some seeds in the dirt, water them and walk away, with great results. Does anyone have a tried-and-true method to achieve better than a 1-in-12?
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
buzd

Re: Cilantro: Who's Growing It?

Post by buzd »

Not from seed, but I've already harvested and scorched the small plant I bought from the farmer's market. It has resprouted, but it's a weak little plant.

I've never had much luck with cilantro.