The Olympics start in 10 days

All Sports Talk, All The Time. Please, No Wagering.
justagirl

The Olympics start in 10 days

Post by justagirl »

What events are you looking forward to? Gymnastics is a favourite of mine. And there have been some mix ups in the gymnastics world lately, but it should be an excellent event, both mens and womans. I'm anxious too see the US woman and a couple of the other (foreign) gymnasts.

Another favourite, very similar to gymnastics is the diving events. It always makes me want to find a pool with a diving board and try some tricks...but I know better.:eek:

What are your favourites? Or don't you really care?
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
flyinbayou

Re: The Olympics start in 10 days

Post by flyinbayou »

There are reports that they will be gathering protesters (communist dissidents, Tibetan sympathizers, etc) and using them for trap and skeet events.

Of course, only as targets.:covri:
justagirl wrote:Or don't you really care?
I wouldn't say I don't care but it really isn't that important to me. Perhaps CP3 will have a great run and win a gold.

Other than that...:sleepy:
bdavid

Post by bdavid »

I love the Olympics. There are few sports I won't watch - synchronised swimming being one of them. Those gaping smiles!
I wish the networks would be less parochial in their coverage, though.
globe9

Post by globe9 »

I always watch the women's national team play soccer, and their usually in it until the medal rounds. I'll watch various events that catch my eye while flipping through channels(usually gymnastics, swimming, diving etc.).

I don't have to watch though. If I have something more important to do, I'll do it and I won't tivo the olympics or anything.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

flyinbayou wrote:There are reports that they will be gathering protesters (communist dissidents, Tibetan sympathizers, etc) and using them for trap and skeet events. Of course, only as targets!

(See History Of The World - Part I for visual examples.) :D
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I have always enjoyed the Olympics. As a former swimmer, I particulalrly like watching that. I also like Track and Field, basketball, gymnastics and really just about anything. It is a grand event, to be enjoyed by all.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

I think that cycling in the Velodrome is just plain humorous. Going faster, slowing, fast again. Then a rush to the line with an occasional "pile-up".
:)
cstoehr

Post by cstoehr »

I watch some of it, but never got into the basketball until the final game. I also watch the scoccer games. I love the swimming and diving and gymnastics but after awhile it gets to be the same old thing. I usually watch the teams but when they do the all around or whatever they call it, the routines are the same and I don't watch it as much.

I am just hoping that nothing happens this year politically or worse to anyone.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

Here's a picture of the Birds Nest staduim that I took in July of 07. Notice the pollution. I did not see the sun the entire week I was in Beijing/Tianjing. And it wasn't because of the clouds.

I seriously doubt that the air is much better right now.
Attachments
Birdsnest.JPG
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

From what I've seen on news broadcasts this week, the polution has gotten even worst. The U.S. Team is being provided with hi-tech masks for use if they wish! Couldn't find a "still" of the U.S. mask, but this is the Swiss team mask.