OK NOLA Residents, Whatya Do?

All Sports Talk, All The Time. Please, No Wagering.
Jesse

Re: OK NOLA Residents, Whatya Do?

Post by Jesse »

Holy ****, what a game.

Me and a few friends got rooms at the W French Quarter. Ended up watching the game in the bar in Bacco, which was supposedly open for hotel guests only. Anyway, there were about 20 folks watching the game there and I thought it was perfect. I might be weird about this, but I wanted to actually watch the game un-molested (that can be hard on Bourbon St, in several ways). The bar even had a limited menu, got some good food and good cocktails. Couldn't ask for more.

After the game, we took to Bourbon St for a few hours. It was as crowded as I've ever seen it. No way I'd pass a drug test today, so much weed was being smoked it was nuts!

Woke up the next day and went to Coffee Pot for breakfast. Walked around the Quarter, waiting to wake up. Split a half-muff from Nor-Joes on the way back to Mandeville.

What a weekend!
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

NoNoNanette wrote:Me too! I'm heading in for the night!
------------------------------------------------------------
**ART.... you might want to check this site out, honey:

http://dailycontributor.com/watch-the-s ... eam/11553/
------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for this Nan. With a combination of this site, the NFL channel, and CNN, I was able to follow most of the parade. WHO DAT! :bow:
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
globe9

Post by globe9 »

Hit the French Quarter around noon to catch Barkus in front of the Cathedral. What a beautiful day it turned out to be! Then went over to House of Blues to meet up with some friends for a little while...just had drinks there, the place was a madhouse!!

We knew we didn't want to watch the game in the Quarter, b/c like some, I actually wanted to pay attention to the game and not be somewhere packed to capacity watching some 32" tv's and trying to get a drink for 30+ minutes....so we headed over to the Mid City Yacht Club where they were showing the game on tv's all over the bar, including 1 HUGE screen in the back, but mainly for the fact that they projected the game on a GINORMOUS screen outside across the street in St. Patrick's Park and we all sat outside on lawn chairs drinking beer. They also had a FREE buffet with some great food that the regulars made(pulled pork, ribs, bbq chicken, homemade salsa and chips, burgers, hot dogs, tamales, little meatballs, etc). I had a great time and it was so much fun watching the game outside....neighbors came out of their houses and NOPD driving by stopped to watch the game too......

After the game we piled into the car and headed down Canal St. honking the horn and screaming out the windows along with everyone else. Many people were waiting for the streetcar to pick them up and they were all screaming too. We parked on the street right off Loyola and walked to Bourbon St. where it was a sea of people....we were hugging strangers and "who datting"...it was magical! Race, religion, etc. didn't matter. NOLA was really one that night!! For not one second did I not feel safe. It really was amazing!!!
jimbeaux

Post by jimbeaux »

Arrived in South Beach Saturday night in our Prius rental, dubbed the "Who Dat Hybrid." Ate some good Cuban food at Puerto Sagua (thanks Board for the rec!) then took in the scene on Ocean Drive. Ended the evening on the balcony of our hotel with a bottle of wine, watching the tricked out gangsta rides and the even more tricked out women stroll by on Collins. Next day had breakfast then headed to the stadium parking lot. Despite the ominous posted and verbal warnings of NO TAILGATING, we flipped up the hatchback, pulled out a table and chairs, lit our cigars, popped open some Abitas, and enjoyed copious amounts of Schaefer & Rusich's boiled shrimp for four hours until gametime. The shrimp attracted everyone who passed by, and we amused ourselves by getting Colts fans to try some. They all acted like they had never seen shrimp with the heads on. I guess their only exposure to shrimp is in frozen tv dinners. Numerous Colts fans thought they were crawfish, and one even tried to suck a shrimp head, but good times were had by all. The game itself earns a designation as one of the top few events of my life. The atmosphere was electric before the game. It did not feel like a trypical corporate Super Bowl. In typical Who Dat Nation fashion, each minor or major field triumph was punctuated by hugs and high fives all around. There were a good amount of Colts fans but many more Saints, and everyone I met from other locales were rooting for the Saints. After the game we stayed in the stadium for about an hour, cheering and watching the celebration. By the time we got back to South Beach we were exhausted. I went to bed with a big grin plastered across my face.
expatorleanian

Post by expatorleanian »

RouxTheDay wrote:OUCH...what a weekend. My liver is waiving the white flag and it's not a WHO DAT napkin.

Non stop since black and gold lunch at Galatoire's on Friday. We had umbrellas and an IPOD docking station on our table and paraded through the restaurant every hour or so.
We did a "stay-cation" at the Wyndham Riverfront. A lot happened in between lunch and the game but to stick to the post topic... . After spending 5 hours on Bourbon Street before the game, we landed back in our room to watch it. Our feet were killing us so going back to B.S. after the game was not an option. ...We stayed in the WD area. Ernst Cafe was insane, we went to Ruth's Chris to catch the trophy presentation and cry and hug strangers. Out to Canal Street just to "people watch"...So emotional! We ended the night at the bar in Morton's for tuna tartare and Champagne. People were still arriving downtown well past 10:30.
Good times!
I saw your sister at the Rib Room Bar.
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

expatorleanian wrote:I saw your sister at the Rib Room Bar.

do i owe you an apology on her behalf? or my bro in law? ;)
BTG

Post by BTG »

I think I just came down from the high of the game and all of the great memories of all that went on.
Went to the quarter on Sunday from 11:30 to 3:30 with the wife and her family. Never seen anything like the atmosphere and mood of the quarter was that day.
My in-laws, including a brother-in-law in flew in from Seattle to be here for the game, are normally not emotional or overly talkative people, but they were just about to explode before the game. I have only been a fan for 10 years or so, but I loved every moment of this day. It was special to see how it effected life long fans that I know, like the father in law.

For game time, we went to a friends house to eat, drink, and be merry. It was a great set up with a 60 inch tv with speakers every where. We had way too much food, but suprisingly the only thing that did not really get eaten was the boiled crabs my friend cooked. I guess it was just bad timing as they were not ready until 15 minutes until kick off and none of us wanted to take the time to get into eating them while we were so into the game.

When we won, it still feels like a dream. My hand hurt from the high fives and I never thought we were all going to stop hugging one another.

I love what that game and the parade did for the image of our city and region. I think most of the country has a new found respect for a possibly a little better understanding about what makes us special.