Saints resting their starters

All Sports Talk, All The Time. Please, No Wagering.
bam bam

Saints resting their starters

Post by bam bam »

In light of two bad losses heading into the playoffs, this could be viewed as a questionable move and Payton should play the starters in an effort to regain some momentum heading into the playoffs. If we have learned anything about the NFL in the aughts, it is that the hot team headed into playoffs will win the Super Bowl.

However, with the exception of Peyton Manning, no player is more important to his team than Brees and I'd rather spend a week worrying about getting momentum back for a playoff game against Arizona than having an automatic loss stuck around our neck because Brunell is our starting qb in the playoffs.
flyinbayou

Re: Saints resting their starters

Post by flyinbayou »

Bad decision IMO.

Brunell is awful and proved it. The team played at half-speed and had several close calls with injuries because of it (Roby, Meachem....both of which are starters)

I thought the mandate was to "play to win the game!" Apparently not.

3 losses, two of which were at home, is a lot of baggage to be carried into the post-season.

Hate to be the Debbie Downer but not liking this at all!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
BTG

Post by BTG »

flyinbayou wrote:Bad decision IMO.

3 losses, two of which were at home, is a lot of baggage to be carried into the post-season.

Hate to be the Debbie Downer but not liking this at all!
I have to disagree with you guys. Nobody on this team is even thinking about this loss today as being a "bad" loss. They were joking and laughing on the sidelines.

The Saints had nothing to gain by playing the starters today and everything to lose. Some of the "injured" were not going to play today anyway, which to me means there was a good chance that we would have lost anyway, which might have been bad for the team.

I for one was scared to death at the thought of Peppers making a fool of our O-line and possibly hurting Breese.

I have heard some of the experts and read an article recently that pointed out that alot of the momentum and hot team talk for the month of December is very much overblown. There has been at least two superbowl teams that struggled late in the year recently.
Backstrap

Post by Backstrap »

This is not going to sit well with some here, but the way the Saints have played since the NE game, it looks like they will be one and done. Unless something miraculous happens and a team like Arizona comes here, the caliber of the teams left will be overwhelming favorites.

Injuries are one thing, playing without passion and a defense as leaky as the Titanic, they,re dead meat.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Arizona will pick the Saints d apart. I am desperately hoping we play Philly or GB on the 14th.
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

So many of our starters go 3 weeks without playing a game and some of the starters that played today got schooled ( Grant, Greer, Fujita) DL, CB, LB!

The last 5 games we haven't looked like the team that started 11-0. And these "injuries" you speak of are well documented to be of varying degrees of seriousness. Some very minor, others more serious. No way of telling with this (or any other) coach. Is he resting guys to fight the next day or are they really hurt and probably won't see the field again this year.
I think Payton sits guys prematurely, hoping to skate by without their contribution for a game or 2. I also believe this will come back to bite the Saints in the ass because it doesn't take much time off before you lose the speed of the game. I'm not talking about the line positions or RB positions. The skill positions such as QB, WR, LB, and DB are as much about rhythm and timing as they are about the rote skills. Lose the timing and you're toast!

So BTG you suggest that Sean Payton has some kind of elixir that will restore the team to its earlier success in the playoffs?? Sorry. Not buying it.
I am going on record, against my black and gold hopes, to say that Drew Brees will be in Miami....as starting QB for the Pro Bowl the week before.

I really hope I am wrong for I have plans for Miami SB Sunday and it doesn't involve South Beach.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
JRO

Post by JRO »

I think everyone that posted on this needs to revisit your thoughts. IMO Payton was a genius resting starters
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Tell it to the non-believers J-RO!

I heard reports that Kim called Reggie in the locker room after the game and made a request that Reggie "Bring the Wood!"

Reggie...Reggie...Reggie!