Saints pick up Shockey

All Sports Talk, All The Time. Please, No Wagering.
flyinbayou

Saints pick up Shockey

Post by flyinbayou »

The Saints have completed a trade with the Giants for TE Jeremy Shockey today, giving up a 2nd and 5th round draft in 2009.

Awesome news for Saints fans IMO.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/07 ... ockey.html
jimbeaux

Re: Saints pick up Shockey

Post by jimbeaux »

Awesome! He will make a nice target, and hopefully will not be the distraction he was in NYC.
peychaud

Post by peychaud »

Hmmm. I don't know how I feel about this one.
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

I have a mental-block about Shockey.... always mix him up with another player. Is Shockey Eli Manning's "go to" guy/best buddy?:confused:
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

peychaud wrote:Hmmm. I don't know how I feel about this one.

I'm guessing your concern is in reference to his bad boy attitude that he's diplayed since joining the league.

While I thought the same thing when the rumors to get him started coming out a few months back, I have to believe that he and Payton has a serious heart to heart talk and Payton laid the rules out explicitly before pulling the trigger to get Shockey.
GuySajerForgottenSoldier

Post by GuySajerForgottenSoldier »

Mixed feelings. I don't feel as horribly as when da dumba$$ gave up an entire draft for a headcase, but I am not stoked either. I was already excited about the Saints' chances to improve this season; this doesn't add much for me. I still think they need impact D players and a better ground game. Maybe Shockey will help with the latter.
Alex

Post by Alex »

flyinbayou wrote:I'm guessing your concern is in reference to his bad boy attitude that he's diplayed since joining the league.

While I thought the same thing when the rumors to get him started coming out a few months back, I have to believe that he and Payton has a serious heart to heart talk and Payton laid the rules out explicitly before pulling the trigger to get Shockey.

I agree, I am pretty sure Payton would not have made this deal without sitting the young man down and having a talk. This guy is a great Tight End and should be able to contribute from day one. Hopefully he will leave the attitude in New York.
Sine qua non
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I think this is a great pick up. He will help the team. No doubt about it.
JRO

Post by JRO »

Great pick up to help the team, just needs to keep his trap shut
peychaud

Post by peychaud »

I'd forgotten Payton coached him as a rookie, so Payton obviously knows what he's getting. No doubt he'll be a great addition to the passing game, but that wasn't one of my concerns going into this season. I'm still not convinced we've done enough to fix our defense.

Worth noting: Shockey has missed the end of regular season with injuries in each of the last five years.

(It's great to be talking football again.)