# of Posts?

Help and Answers To Your Forum Questions
Jerry

# of Posts?

Post by Jerry »

Seems like no matter how many postings I've made, my status is 3 postings???
...Wait --now it shows 4.
Is this a per day posting?
I know I've posted atl leat a dozen or so...
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
Admin

Re: # of Posts?

Post by Admin »

We wondered when someone would notice. Among its plethora of features is the ability of this board to not count posts in certain sub-forums (sub-fora?). We though it would be a better indication of, call it what you want, credibility? if Lounge posts didn't boost user totals, as there is a higher probability of essentially-meaningless replies there. If anyone can give a cogent reason as to why that should be different, we'll listen.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Admin wrote:We wondered when someone would notice. Among its plethora of features is the ability of this board to not count posts in certain sub-forums (sub-fora?). We though it would be a better indication of, call it what you want, credibility? if Lounge posts didn't boost user totals, as there is a higher probability of essentially-meaningless replies there. If anyone can give a cogent reason as to why that should be different, we'll listen.
Please explain this a little better.
A post is a post.
I've submitted at least 9 but it says 5.:confused:
JazzBoutique.net
Admin

Post by Admin »

We don't really need to discuss this on two boards simultaneously. What we're getting from the inquiry is that a value is being placed on post count as a measure of something. But consider a scenario:

A poster never posts anywhere but the off-topic forum, but they post prolifically. So, on a board dedicated to New Orleans Food & Entertainment, is their, say 1000+ posts really indicative of a valuable contribution to the theme of the board when they never talk about New Orleans food & entertainment? That's all we're saying. Let people form an opinion of you by your words and actions, not your count.
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

Admin wrote:Let people form an opinion of you by your words and actions, not your count.
My feelings exactly. I wish there were no post counts period.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Admin wrote:We don't really need to discuss this on two boards simultaneously. What we're getting from the inquiry is that a value is being placed on post count as a measure of something. But consider a scenario:

A poster never posts anywhere but the off-topic forum, but they post prolifically. So, on a board dedicated to New Orleans Food & Entertainment, is their, say 1000+ posts really indicative of a valuable contribution to the theme of the board when they never talk about New Orleans food & entertainment? That's all we're saying. Let people form an opinion of you by your words and actions, not your count.
I found this in your FAQ:
"The bulletin board as a whole contains various categories (broad subject areas), which themselves contain forums (more specific subject areas) which contain threads (conversations on a topic) which are made up of individual posts (where a user writes something)."

I did not find the part about anything not pertaining to "New Orleans Food & Entertainment" as having "a higher probability of essentially-meaningless replies"

Why not not do away with the post counts and just delete any post not pertaining to "New Orleans Food & Entertainment".

...and eliminate the "Lounge" forum so that meaningless people will avoid the site.
JazzBoutique.net
LiveOak

Post by LiveOak »

Post counts are a sacred cow of most internet message boards and the way one gets street cred. Someone ought to do a study of the psychology behind all of this. Usually when I sign up on a new board I tread lightly. I post something non-controversial and innocuous. We've all seen the chest-thumping alpha posters who growl and protect their territory and attack the "noobs." In the end it is really ridiculous, but fascinating.

Since this post was pithy and full of substance I hope it will be added to my post count. I'm going to submit this and check...
Admin

Post by Admin »

The FAQ is a helpful set of answers to Frequently Asked Questions, in an effort to aid users in the use and navigation of the forum. It is generic, does not dictate policy, opines nothing, makes no guarantees, and disclaims nothing other than some features may or may not be made available on all installations. At this point, we feel we've made ourselves clear about why we have the feature set as we do. We never promised to be everything to everybody, only that we would try to be better than the previous alternative.
BADgirl!

Post by BADgirl! »

I like it like this. Because if the Boss wants to claims you've been Goofing off all day at the job posting on some board.....you can show him that Nope... on 1 post.

lol

Stick to your 'guns' Admin. Tell em to go to another website for Posts Count awards.

...and the Winner is.............
(_)_)