Is Fitzmorris Delusional?

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
LauraMc

Re: Is Fitzmorris Delusional?

Post by LauraMc »

Titchou wrote:Now, LauraMc, how can you say that when we were such faves of his back in the day, Sister Harpy.....
Oh yeah, I forgot I was even a character in his little radio show novella that he did.
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

Those were the days....
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
wish I never left

Post by wish I never left »

I try not to say anything bad about anybody on internet message boards... It just doesn't seem like there's any shortage of that.

However, I had to stop reading and comment on this thread when I read this from Tom:

"The only way [the sirloin strip] could have been made better would be by cutting it in the New Orleans style (first cut conventionally but extra thick, then cut in half across the short axis, leaving two steaks that look like a filets mignon)."

I don't think his 'New Orleans' cut is necessarily a bad idea. And, without getting into the economic particulars of how a restaurant is going to source and/or cut its meat, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that he advocate for this to become a regular cut.

But, for him to just throw the idea that this is somehow a standard way of doing things - in the same sense of how a steak served in sizzling butter is a pretty standard way of serving steaks in New Orleans; well, that is truly delusional.
Blue Cross Sux

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

Is this really all that necessary? Does this honestly give you all that much pleasure? Christ, you people need to get a life.

What in ****'s name am I doing here?
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Blue Cross Sux wrote:Is this really all that necessary?
About as necessary as:
"The Longest Food String on The Web"

Especially if you are going to blow smoke up your minion's azzes about how your forum has such a greater volume of post than other forums.

Do you know the definition of azzclown???
BTG

Post by BTG »

Blue Cross Sux wrote: What in ****'s name am I doing here?
I kind of wonder the same thing. At one time I thought I remember you being a pretty decent poster and would contribute interesting stuff, but now you just seem to buzz in from time to time to complain about what people are posting about.
Do you have any good restaurant reports? Any good beers or wine recently?
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

wish I never left wrote:I try not to say anything bad about anybody on internet message boards... It just doesn't seem like there's any shortage of that.

However, I had to stop reading and comment on this thread when I read this from Tom:

"The only way [the sirloin strip] could have been made better would be by cutting it in the New Orleans style (first cut conventionally but extra thick, then cut in half across the short axis, leaving two steaks that look like a filets mignon)."

I don't think his 'New Orleans' cut is necessarily a bad idea. And, without getting into the economic particulars of how a restaurant is going to source and/or cut its meat, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that he advocate for this to become a regular cut.

But, for him to just throw the idea that this is somehow a standard way of doing things - in the same sense of how a steak served in sizzling butter is a pretty standard way of serving steaks in New Orleans; well, that is truly delusional.
Laurent Tourondel came up with the double cut NY strip before Tom. He used to (and may still) serve it at BLT Prime. As he says in his cookbook, customers loved the NY strip so much "we decided to come up with this larger, jucier version to serve 2. The steaks are about 3" thick and are cooked and served on the bone. I don't know of another restaurant that serves this kind of steak". Perhaps House of Tom, where they are bonelss and cut in 1/2. Wonder where he got the idea.

As for chargrilled mussels being better than the oysters...not by a long shot. We ordered both and found that the mussels don't get crusty. Orders are cooked in a grill basket. They don't get charred (although they have a nice smoky flavor). The sauce is quite liquid, as if it is poured on top after plating.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Reading Jodyrah's post reminded me that chargrilled mussels are nothing new. I've been having garlicky chargrilled mussels at 9 Roses since they opened about 14 or so yrs ago.

In fact, I got them so much, I got tired of them & stopped a couple of yrs ago.
Thanks for reminding me of this. They are really good & I'm looking forward to revisiting. But they are very different than chargrilled oysters as being Vietnamese, of course there is no cheese.

As far as the Dean goes, absolutely no comment!
It's all been said!