homeowner's insurance....... rat b*st*rds

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
LauraMc

homeowner's insurance....... rat b*st*rds

Post by LauraMc »

I had received a notice of non-renewal for my home owners policy that expires July 31. I just got the insurance last year after paying Citizens for 3 years. The reason for non-renewal was "no handrail on the steps, portions of foundation open and rotting wood siding".
The steps they are speaking of are 3 brick steps to my back door. I have a raised house so I have no idea what the foundation open in portions is about. And I have vinyl siding, not wood. We did have a rotten corner but the two outside walls and frame were replaced in March. So that would mean they inspected my house prior to that and waited until now to tell me they are not renewing my policy.
Of course, it takes 60 days to get a copy of the inspection but by then my policy will have expired. Is this just a scam to get rid of customers in storm prone areas?
My agent is calling to find out if they can work it out but when I googled "cancelled for no hand rail" it seems they do that in Florida a lot too.
justagirl

Re: homeowner's insurance....... rat b*st*rds

Post by justagirl »

The rail things is any house with more than 2 steps and they getcha. It sucks since most of us have raised houses. I'm guessing the open is not having lattice work around the house.

My insurance guru rocks and takes amazing care of me. It's not cheap and they are constantly trying to f&ck with me, but she handles it all and only involves me when she needs me to sign something.

Maybe O-man will make universal insurance for us!
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I have a sweetheart agent same as JAG. I've been with her for years and her dad before her. Laura, if you'd like I'll PM her contact info to you. She ain't cheap neither, but she shops around for the best deal for me.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

Yes, please, Jeeves in case my agent doesn't come through.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Check your IM, Laura.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

Laura, they tried to pull that handrail thing on us too.
So we got a handrail.

In the meantime, one of MFDC's new clients is an insurance agent.
He mentioned this to his client & he assured us if we switched, he'd take really good care of us. And he has.

He's in Harahan & I'd be happy to send you his info as well.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Laura, I sent you my gal's info too. They called again this week with another issue from Citizen's. I swear, every month Citizen's tries to get me on something.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

Looks like they will renew us if we add the handrail and latticework under the house if we do it and send pictures. Now just have to get hubby on it.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

LauraMc wrote:Looks like they will renew us if we add the handrail and latticework under the house if we do it and send pictures. Now just have to get hubby on it.
That lattice work shouldn't be too hard.
We have it, but curiously, no one else on my block has it & all raised houses. Why do they require it? It was here when we bought the house.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

They don't say why. I can see the handrail but the lattice work? It will be easy. Turns out we have it on two sides of the house (can you tell I never go in my yard?). Mike said it comes ready made at Lowes and will be easy to put up.
Most of my neighbors have their house closed in underneath but less than half of them have hand rails. And is this literally 2 1/2 steps.