Mardi Gras or Carnival

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.

Do you use the term Mardi Gras or Carnival?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Carnival
78%
Carnival
22%

Total votes: 18

Isabella Maja

Re: Mardi Gras or Carnival

Post by Isabella Maja »

Oyster wrote:C'mon maannn....where ya'll from, Mars???

Throw the freakin baby out da window, it's Carnival Time!!!!

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccu2_MRMF5Y

Carnival is the season, Mardi Gras is the day.
I'd ditto that! Grew up on the WB. We said Carnival for the season & Mardi Gras for the day.
Perhaps our proximity was close enough to the Garden District!

I worked for a woman who reigned as Rex's Queen. She always said, "When I was Queen of Carnival . . ."
Mrs. Fury

Post by Mrs. Fury »

Mawdi Graw. I don't think I heard Carvival til I heard of the celebration in Brazil.
I like kids. They taste like chicken.
www.ladayrides.com
NoNoNanette

Post by NoNoNanette »

Oyster wrote:C'mon maannn....where ya'll from, Mars???

Throw the freakin baby out da window, it's Carnival Time!!!!

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccu2_MRMF5Y

Carnival is the season, Mardi Gras is the day.
Hmmmmm..... I voted "Mardi Gras", but come to think of it, I refer to "Carnival" probably more. Been here since '83 and luv that song, Oyster!
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

I tell people I meet on the road that I am from New Orleenz and ride in a couple of Carnival parades! Nah, Just kidding.
I mentioned in another thread that I thought that was one of the few things that Treme didn't get right.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

One day a year, I ride around on an alligator using my Mr Microphone and exclaim to the world:

There isn't anything like Fat Tuesday in the Big Easy!!!!!!!!

(flyinbayou, where are you from?)
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Isabella Maja wrote:I'd ditto that! Grew up on the WB. We said Carnival for the season & Mardi Gras for the day.
Perhaps our proximity was close enough to the Garden District!

I worked for a woman who reigned as Rex's Queen. She always said, "When I was Queen of Carnival . . ."
Grew up on the WB too. Was always Carnival. Worked with Rex/Comus organizations for about 7 years. Even got to hand Rex a toast! (Note I said "hand", not "toast Rex.")

Now, let's go to the official REX - website and take a look: (Iitalics added by moi)

"Since the founding of the Rex Organization in 1872 its traditions have helped define Mardi Gras. Rex's Proclamation invites his subjects to the grand celebration of Carnival. His royal colors of purple, green, and gold are to this day the colors of Mardi Gras, and the song played in the first Rex parade, "If Ever I Cease to Love," has become Carnival's anthem. Rex and his Queen preside over the Rex Ball, Carnival's glittering conclusion. "

There. Enough for me. I will stand on that like The Dean stands on Poor Boy!

Happy Mardi Gras!
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Mardi Gras is French and translates out to Fat Tuesday in English. The one day before Ash Wednesday! The so called "Dean" is wrong about his insistance on using the word, "poor boy". He is the only one who calls the Oak Street Po-Boy Festival a "Poor Boy Festival" When I used to dine after midnight at Martin Brothers on St. Claude when I was a young motorcycle cop, Red Martin called them PO-BOYS!.....and dats da troof!
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Jeeves wrote:Mardi Gras is French and translates out to Fat Tuesday in English. The one day before Ash Wednesday! The so called "Dean" is wrong about his insistance on using the word, "poor boy". He is the only one who calls the Oak Street Po-Boy Festival a "Poor Boy Festival" When I used to dine after midnight at Martin Brothers on St. Claude when I was a young motorcycle cop, Red Martin called them PO-BOYS!.....and dats da troof!
I'm down with that Jeeves! Both!

The Dean is now stating that Drago's Char-broiled mussels are a better tasting dish than their Char-broiled oysters.

I wonder how he feels that Paula Deen outdraws The Dean at local food events?
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Technically it appears poor boy was the original term, that said, it certainly morphed into poboy, which is what most people say now (one rarely hears poor boy). Since reading this article, if the late great Chief McCrossen said poor boy, it can't be all bad.;) And in that same story (link below) note Bennie Martin's reference to "Carnival Day"...:bow:

http://www.poboyfest.com/history

(I did hone my claw machine skills at the Martin Brothers Gentilly/Chef Hwy and Downman Road)

(I also think Tom Fitzmorris may intentionally/unintentionally "stir the pot", "dangle the bait" etc which from all the strong opinions, obviously works. HA)
The mussels comment would definitely fall into that category (not to say they aren't good, but come on)
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Suzy Wong wrote: (flyinbayou, where are you from?)
Born and raised here. Schooled here and upstate LA. I never go to carnival. I do Mardi Gras. (Going to carnival makes it sound like you're heading to Rio).
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.