Cash for Clunkers - Appliances

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
TheSpecialMan

Cash for Clunkers - Appliances

Post by TheSpecialMan »

Has anyone used this Louisiana program to upgrade any appliances?
It opened up a few weeks ago, and I think the money has now run out, but I reserved a few rebates when it first started.

The idea is that you recycle your old inefficient appliance and get rebates back when you buy a new energy star labeled appliance. For example, you can get a $250 rebate on a refigerator and a $150 rebate on a dishwasher.

My question for anyone who has done it is whether they actually check to see if you have an old appliance to turn in, or whether it's just a form you sign stating that you will recycle your old appliance. I need to buy some new appliances, but I don't have any old ones to turn in.
LauraMc

Re: Cash for Clunkers - Appliances

Post by LauraMc »

How do you recycle a refrigerator? Someone I work with just got the $250 when he bought a new fridge. I'll ask tomorrow. I may be in the market myself. Hubby is waiting on the repairman right now. The freezer is working but the rest of the box is not cooling at all. It's only 4 years old & came with the house.
TheSpecialMan

Re: Cash for Clunkers - Appliances

Post by TheSpecialMan »

Well, I went to A-1 yesterday and talked to a guy there. It seems there isn't any paperwork required to prove that you "recycled" the old appliance. I believe you just need to check a box on the form stating that your old appliance has been recycled. So... as far as I can tell it should be easy to get the rebate without actually producing an old appliance/