New Orleans Music?

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
Jesse

New Orleans Music?

Post by Jesse »

I'm a casual music fan, born and raised in Gentilly, but I have to admit that my knowledge of a lot of the local music scene is limited. I know a lot of you here are or were involved in that scene, so I'm asking for suggestions. What is some of the staple, local stuff that I should be listening to that maybe I'm not? Or what do yall considered essential New Orleans music?

Yes, Treme is making me wonder about this btw...
NoNoNanette

Re: New Orleans Music?

Post by NoNoNanette »

This ages me, Jesse... but:

The Radiators and Mason Ruffner. Love 'em!!!!!!!!!!
"Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference."
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Heh, I remember listening to The Radiators play at Luigi's on Elysian Fields out by UNO back in the day.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

Saints is extra.
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

bam bam wrote:Saints is extra.

LOL! i just watched it yesterday.

Jesse, if you are at JF on the 2nd Friday, check out John Boutte. He sings the Treme theme song. He is one of my can't miss JF acts. (Surely he will have his sh*t together better than he did at FQF.:mad:) If you miss him at JF, he's also at dba on Saturdays at 7pm.
bam bam

Post by bam bam »

There's pride on Bourbon Street.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Check out Threadhead Records. Since Katrina they have helped a lot of New Orleans Musicians and have some great CDs out such as Marc Stone, Paul Sanchez, John Boutte, Craig Klien (Bonerama and Night Crawlers), Shamarr Allen, and many more.

I love me some Radiators! I'm a big fan of Papa Grows Funk and John Gros in general. Tuesday nights at Chickie Wah Wah's is Jumpin' Johnny Sansone, John Fohl (who is Dr John's guitar player) and the cleaned up but bearded Anders Osborn. These three guys solo are amazing, together its a set not to be missed.

Eric Lindell, Theresa Anderson, Kermit Ruffins, Big Sam's Funky Nation and Alex McMurray are also worth checking out.

I love local music.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
flyinbayou

Post by flyinbayou »

Funny you started this thread. I was thinking about how far behind I was in my NOLA music collection.
I was listening to WWOZ on Sunday and heard an interview and some rough cuts from Jesse Moore. He is collaborating with someone else (Chris ?) and the CD is being produced by Anders Osbourne. Good stuff.

I also heard Jimmy Robinson playing at the French Quarter Fest and made a mental note to get his CD. (It's in the mail I hope)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
buzd

Post by buzd »

Trombone Shorty's new CD came out today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C5FMEE/
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

There is so much to say about this. Wow. Big Sam's Funky Nation, Sunpie Barnes, New Orleans CottonMouth Kings, Radiators, Joe Krowne, Zydepunks, etc. so many, from so many genres. I could go on forever, but won't.

Go to Louisiana Music Facory and talk to some of the employees and ask them their favorites (Barry is the owner and k nows his stuff). Buy a few cd's. Enjoy.