Latil's Landing

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
ToddMa

Latil's Landing

Post by ToddMa »

My parents abducted the kids for the weekend so my wife and I decided to hit three restaurants in two days.

Saturday night we were half contemplating another trip to New Orleans when we cam across the Houmas House website for Latil's Landing http://www.houmashouse.com . I wasn't averse to the drive and figured it's no farther than N.O. so we took a shot.

The Plantation is beautiful and the grounds are flawless. No I'm not setting you up for a bad food report.

We had the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing and were blown away. Not only was the food great for $80, the wine was very high end and priced at $45.

We started with Foie Gras and Scallop Sandwich with a candied beet puree. The wine was a 1993 Black Castle Tohaji, Hungary.

2nd Course: Three Summer Soups (Cold) - Watermelon, Potato and White Asparagus and Avocadado and Crabmeat.
The wine was a 2006 Pontchartrain Vineyards "Le Trolley" Blanc du Bois. This is not a wine I would typical purchase or order, but it paired very well with the soups.

3rd Course: Crispy skin Red Snapper with celery root puree
2006 Cakebread Chardonnay - Very Good

Cosmopolitan Sorbet

5th Course: Mixed Grill with Coffee Marinated Lamb Chop (the best piece of food all night), Bacon Wrapped Veal (the bacon totally over powered the Veal) and Oxtail potato salad and rosemary jus (reminded me of Christian's Demi glace).
This was served wit a 2005 Darioush Cabernet Sauvignon. This was a real treat as I sold my whole allocation this year without getting a chance to taste it. The waitress came back for a refill and emptied the rest of the bottle in my glass (can you say enabler).

Cheese was a Bleu, Brie and Campo de Montalban (Soft Version of Manchego)
They served a Montes Alpha Syrah from Chile with this but it would have been much better with a white or even a sweet wine. I enjoyed the cheese and wine seperately.

Dessert was a chocolate panna cotta and a flaming Banana's Foster Split. WOW!
Vueve Cliquot Demi Sec was nice.

The Chef is Jeremy Langlois, a John Folse graduate.

Can you say, Road Trip!
Yvette

Re: Latil's Landing

Post by Yvette »

Jeremy is a wonderful Chef. We have done two dinners there with our "group" I am doing another one in October for the Southwest Convention. We are doing a road trip from New Orleans there. He always comes through for us. He is very creative and we will not duplicate anything from our past dinners.
Yvette
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

Our Christmas dinner is on the books for Dec 20th. Hope you can make it.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Todd, that sounds wonderful. Where is it? I guess I could google....lol
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
TulaneRebel

Post by TulaneRebel »

Is this restaurant connected to Lafitte's Landing at the Bittersweet Plantation?
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

No, Chef Jeremy studied under John Folse. Kevin Kelly is the owner of Houmas House and the restaurant.