What is Orange Roughy?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
edible complex

Re: What is Orange Roughy?

Post by edible complex »

it used to be the go-to fish on the menu at Houston's...don't know if it still has a starring role there.
you can find bags of this frozen fish at Sam's real cheap if you want to give it a try. you can pan sear it and top it with a reduction of some fresh squeezed orange and lime juices, carmelized onions, tequila, butter, a dash of key lime seasonings and sprinkle fresh cilantro on it. serve w/coconut, lime, jasmine rice.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Thanks yall. I wasn't really going to try it or anything...just didn't know what it was...saw it on a web site in a recipe. I figured yall would know the answer...thanks.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
ChefGuy

Post by ChefGuy »

Orange Roughy is a great fish if it is wild, but 99% of the roughy you get in this country is farmed.
buzd

Post by buzd »

Right or wrong (more likely), I always sort of equated it to Tilapia.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Buzd, I was thinking the same thing actually. I don't know why, but I was.

I was more interested in the other recipe ingredients, and I wasn't going to seek out orange roughy, but I was still curious as to what it was.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

buzd wrote:Right or wrong (more likely), I always sort of equated it to Tilapia.
Good comparison. In SF Bay Area Supermarkets, before we left in Feb., 2007, finding Orange Roughy (previously frozen) in the seafood case was a 100% certainty. Its a firm white fish which became popular when the price of Cod soared. When I was a kid, Cod was dirt cheap - codfish cakes and the major source for fish & chips. Now it's high-end, with Roughy taking up the slack for mid-priced.
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

Schuarta wrote:Good comparison. In SF Bay Area Supermarkets, before we left in Feb., 2007, finding Orange Roughy (previously frozen) in the seafood case was a 100% certainty. Its a firm white fish which became popular when the price of Cod soared. When I was a kid, Cod was dirt cheap - codfish cakes and the major source for fish & chips. Now it's high-end, with Roughy taking up the slack for mid-priced.
In Cod We Trust...just read an amazing recipe for some seared cod w/a coconut sauce in either Island or Caribbean Life and Travel. A friend of mine has many a fish and chippie in England...he is the Codfather!
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Where I grew up on the coast, in Southern Maine, we always had cod and haddock. I love the haddock but the cod was oily and often wormy. Still to this day when I go to Maine and order fish and chips, I always make sure it's haddock and not cod.
Schuarta

Post by Schuarta »

justagirl wrote:Where I grew up on the coast, in Southern Maine, we always had cod and haddock. I love the haddock but the cod was oily and often wormy. Still to this day when I go to Maine and order fish and chips, I always make sure it's haddock and not cod.
That may be the reason we doused our fish with Malt Vinegar. To kill the worms.

Just kidding! :D
As John Wayne once said: "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Tilapia can be good...especially in fish tacos, becasue it picks up the taste of the seasoning easier IMO don't be a tilapia snob;)

I only eat seafood meat wise, so I eat fish often, probably will die from mecury overdose

I like fish as close to it natural taste, sauces as possible, no marinades or anything like that for me.

The only fish I do NOT like are mackeral and swordfish.

Salmon is my FAVORITE, and steelhead trout, I eat those the most....
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein