O'Brien's

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
jshushan

O'Brien's

Post by jshushan »

I went for lunch Friday at O'Brien's. It's on the west bank a block from the corner of Terry Pkwy. and Belle Chase Highway. Don't ask why I was that far out in the boonies.

It was good. It is, I think, now the most expensive spot on the West Bank. I wasn't in the mood for a large steak so I had three apps.

1) Artichoke Cheesecake topped with sauteed oysters. It was great. One of the better apps I've had recently.

2) Crawfish boil risotto. It was the usual "crawfish boil" ingredients, crawfish, corn, sausage, garlic, onion, etc. made into a risotto. It was quite spicy and I love it. My dc thought it was a bit too spicy but he's a yankee who doesn't really like hot stuff. It didn't really "cream" out the way a risotto should. It was, however, quite tasty. I'd get it again even if it really is "rice with stuff in it" instead of a classic risotto.

3) Blue Cheese wedge salad. This one needs a bit of work. It was a smaller "cut" off of the iceberg head than usual. Also, they used a big lot of snipped tiny French chives on top and they didn't have any flavor which got past the blue cheese dressing flavor. The dressing was good and the iceberg very fresh they just need to work on the garnish.

My friend had a prime rib sandwich, 14 bucks at lunch, with fresh cut fries. He liked it.

I'd go again. Just realize it's not cheap. Steaks up to $35-36 and apps from 6-12.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
Tchoupitoulas

Re: O'Brien's

Post by Tchoupitoulas »

jshushan wrote: Don't ask why I was that far out in the boonies.
Excuse me? The "boonies" is not too far from where I grew up. :eek:
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

Tchoupitoulas wrote:Excuse me? The "boonies" is not too far from where I grew up. :eek:
Sorry. I look at things from an "east bank" perspective. I don't get deep on the West Bank that often. I meant no offense.

Jonathan
"He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Winston Churchill
Tchoupitoulas

Post by Tchoupitoulas »

I know, just giving you a hard time Jonathan...no offense taken. :D
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Jonathan, that first appetizer sounds awesome. I've never heard of O'Brien's.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

If you blinked you'd miss it.
It's sandwiched in between a drive thru daiquiri shop & the parking/RV storage lot of a storage facility (the old BRONCO's).

The place looks like it has no windows. Is that true?
It is a odd shaped building, kind of long & rectangular.

Jonathan, what kind of bread was used for the prime rib sandwich & was it rare?
jshushan

Post by jshushan »

Isabella Maja wrote:If you blinked you'd miss it.
It's sandwiched in between a drive thru daiquiri shop & the parking/RV storage lot of a storage facility (the old BRONCO's).

The prime rib appeared to be on a pistolette type of roll. It was actually much larger than a standard pistolette. It wasn't I think exactly standard french bread but it looked pretty good. I couldn't tell if the meat was rare. My dc that day isn't a "sharer" with food. However, I know he eats rare beef and liked the sammich so it was accepable to a rare meat eater.

Jonathan
JRO

Post by JRO »

Isabella Maja wrote:If you blinked you'd miss it.

Mudbugs not Broncos

go way back to Nicholson & Loup
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

JRO wrote:Mudbugs not Broncos

go way back to Nicholson & Loup
That's right! When I typed Broncos I even second guessed myself.

We're thinking about going for dinner tonight, but I can't even find a phone number for this place! Anybody have a number for them?
mityquinn

Post by mityquinn »

try looking up O'Brien's Grill. 2020 Belle Chasse Hwy. 391-7229.