Can We Finally Discuss How Piss Poor The State of Food Criticism in New Orleans is?

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Dilfan

Re: Can We Finally Discuss How Piss Poor The State of Food Criticism in New Orleans i

Post by Dilfan »

Suzy Wong wrote:It seems there are food writers, not reviewers. (And if Brett Anderson knew how the owners of Bozo's felt about black people (and always have) I don't think he would be whisitling their tune like he did).
I remember when they were located in the city, you had to be a "member" to eat there. Then, they started allowing members to bring guests, but IIRC, the guest could be turned away at the door if they didn't meet the restaurants "requirements". Then again, a lot of things were different back then, and most restaurants still "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone".
Save Money NOW! - http://jselph.MyWorldDiscounts.com
jimbeaux

Re: Can We Finally Discuss How Piss Poor The State of Food Criticism in New Orleans i

Post by jimbeaux »

I agree we need more aggressive restaurant reviews locally. But I do find it ironic that whenever a carpetbagger reviewer from GQ or whereever dares to imply one of our hallowed local culinary institutions is nothing special, our first reaction is to denigrate the reviewer and rip him or her as an out of touch, out of taste, out of towner. I am guilty of this myself. Perhaps we only accept criticism from our own.
TulaneRebel

Post by TulaneRebel »

The GQ guy (Alan Richman) was just an complete dumbass. If I remember correctly, not only did he compare "creoles" to "fairies," he also gainsaid Galatoire's. And gainsaying Galatoire's is illegal in 12 states.
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

Lorin has quickly transitioned from one of "us" (foodies) to one of "them", (suck-up wanna-be member of the food and restaurant establishment). She seems far more about making nice to those in the know than letting the dining public in on what is, and far more importantly what is not worth their time and hard earned money. The last thing this town needs is a food cheerleader, yet that is precisely what she has become.

She seems to be a nice woman, with a winning personality and smile, which is perfectly fine, and terribly endearing. I would much prefer a shrew with the stones to actually give us opinions, rather than this rah rah pablum she currently provides on radio and TV.
ToddMa

Post by ToddMa »

bam bam wrote:
I know for a fact that Fatzmorris hasn't paid for a meal at Antoine's in at least ten years. How does that help us, the dining public?

You killed your whole argument right there. I've had lunch at Antoines with Tom (and several members of the old board) and Tom did pay for his meal. He's also paid for dinner on two occassions at Andrea's (I tipped).

Never believe the word of a poker player.