Northern New England and Quebec

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Gourmondo

Northern New England and Quebec

Post by Gourmondo »

I am looking at heading up East next month for some R&R. The weather was so nice on Nova Scotia last August that we are going in that direction again, just a little further west. Will fly into Boston and head to Montreal, maybe hit Quebec City and back down through Maine to Boston, depending on how much time and exactly which route I end up taking. If any of you has clues to interesting eats in that admittedly large area, I am keen to receive your suggestions. I am assuming Montreal will have the most interesting culinary offerings. Been to Boston many times so will probably not spend more than a day there on this trip. Hopefully it will not be 100 degrees when we're there.
justagirl

Re: Northern New England and Quebec

Post by justagirl »

It was 97 Monday in Kennebunk. I spent the entire day in the pool relaxing so it wasn't bad at all.
The weather this week is amazing there. I had a hard time coming home and going back to work.

Jonathan's on Ogunquit is very nice. (right by the playhouse if you want to make an evening of it) The food is very good but service is just ok. The Landing in Kennebunkport is great on a nice evening when you can sit outside, watch the boats and sunset. Very good food and service....well, usually for service anyway. If you don't mind standing in line (or eating at 4pm) Wells Steak House is worth the wait. Just don't go getting drunk while waiting (it's hard not to do).
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

My wife and I were there about 8 weeks ago visiting my son. Here's his recs:
"Here's the menu for Au Pied de Cochon, the first place I told you about: http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/menu_e.html. It looks slightly cheaper than Le P'tit Plateau (the place we drove by), except it's not BYOW.

The Reservoir (the brewpub) doesn't serve dinner, so that's out.

Another option would be Greek or Portuguese in the Plateau, instead of sticking to French cuisine. Or just walk around the Plateau and look at menus of places - most are BYOW - and just pick one at random."
His focus on BYOW is based on his being a poor college student.

We ended up in the Plateau area eating at one of the Greek restaurants (sorry, can't remember the name). There are wine shops near where you can buy your bottle and bring it to the restaurant. Very casual and very good.

Montreal is a highly ethnic city. And while their China town is relatively small it has some good restaurants also.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Pas Bon

Post by Pas Bon »

We're going to Montreal next week, then taking the train to Quebec City. In Montreal we have DNA and Au Pied du Couchon booked. For our third dinner, considering a bistro along the lines of Lemeac, La Salle a Manger or Laloux.
Also, Schwartz's for smoked meat, Fairmont for bagels and La Banquise for poutine.

QC, we're thinking about St-Amour, Panache, le Patriarch, Toast, l'Echaude, Le Lapin Saute and La Pain Beni.....among others.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

JAG, did you bring me back a lobster bib? :)
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
edible complex

Post by edible complex »

we did the trip from Montreal to Quebec City a few yrs back. I can't find my notes, but we did the BYOB restaurants a few nights. all had outdoor cafe style dining. we went to a Greek place that was quite good. we took advantage of the great weather and ate outside every night.

a side trip out of Quebec City is Ile d'Orleans. stay and/or eat at:
http://www.presbytere.com/pagesENG/home.htm

another great place to spend a night:
http://www.aloreedubois.com/english/welcome.html
Louise is the best and makes a great breakfast. we took her canoe out and had a refreshingly cool time in the stream/waterfall that runs thru her property. bring some wine and sit on her deck and watch the sunset over the stream and valley.

in Quebec City, we stayed at:
http://www.aladecouverte.com/default.as ... ef=English
parking was easier just outside the old city walls, and everything was in easy walking distance. the farmer's market is insane; do not miss a trip here.

all along the drive, we stopped at many places making their own cheeses, etc. and picked up some great french rose' wines to picnic along the St. Lawrence. we went trout fishing and cooked our catch along the river banks.

Quebec does firework shows throughout summer. we caught one show from the shoreline of Ile d'Orleans:
http://www.quebecfireworks.com/en/
http://www.internationaldesfeuxloto-que ... fault.aspx

if I find my notes on restaurants, I'll update.
After Mon & Tues, even the calendar says W-T-F!
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Jeeves wrote:JAG, did you bring me back a lobster bib? :)
No, sorry. I do have some Bacon Hot Sauce for you though.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Blue Cross Sux

Post by Blue Cross Sux »

In Montreal, check out Le Petite Extra. It's a local's spot, mostly unknown to tourists. When we walked in, they kept asking "How did you find out about us?"

It was terrific. Classy, yet casual. I had a braised rabbit in blueberry reduction I'm still dreaming about. Granted, this was many years ago.
chefairline

Post by chefairline »

JAG, I love the Maine coast, especially Ogunquit and Camden. I've been a few times.
Would you recommend Barnacle Billy's for the traditional boiled lobster experience?
Would you also suggest stopping for a roadside lobster roll? (Not the kind bam would consider?)
Celebrate New Orleans! Eat a po'boy, not a SUB.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Definitely. There are places all up and down the east coast in Maine. Check out a few lighthouses while there.