Fermented black beans

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
jodyrah

Fermented black beans

Post by jodyrah »

I went up and down the aisles at Hong Kong market, no luck . I finally asked and was told they don't have them. Does anyone know who does? FWIW, they carry Goya Valencia rice for paella. It's considerably cheaper than Bomba with great results.
EatinAintCheatin

Re: Fermented black beans

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I occasionally have fermented black beans. But you really don't want to be any where around me when I do.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
willifred

Post by willifred »

I go to the asian market on Williams Blvd, just past Harbor Seafood on the same side of the street. The front (closest to the street) is a little restaurant, farther back is the asian market. They have them for sure, along with lots of other hard to find items.
crrush

Post by crrush »

I'm surprised Hong Kong market doesn't have fermented black beans.

You could also try the International Market.

International Market
940 Barron Street
Metairie, LA 70002-5734
(504) 888-8832

What are you making? I've used them in fried rice -- Fuschia Dunlop's recipe is one of the best I've ever tried. (I used leftover ribs from a barbecue. Stupid good.) The recipe is in her book, Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper (a great read), but it might also be on her web site if you're interested.
jodyrah

Post by jodyrah »

I use them for several dishes: spare ribs in garlic and black bean sauce, lobster sauce, as a change instead of hot bean sauce for eggplant in yu-xiang sauce. I have a recipe for stir fried spicy clams in black bean sauce that I want to try although I may hold off till I visit the Jersey shore early Sept. when I can get fresh, cheap clams. I have Fuchsia's "Land of Plenty" and there is not one recipe for fried rice, go figure. I'll try her site, thanks.
hungryone

Post by hungryone »

The store referenced upthread by willifred is Asian Gourmet Market, owned by the same folks who own the Little Tokyo restaurants around town. It's primarily Japanese, though it does carry some pan-Asian ingredients. I shopped at it this weekend, and I was pleased to see an expanded produce section and a small but decent fish selection (salmon heads, etc)
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

99 Market on Chef Hwy carries about 98% asian groceries and even cooking supplies. The other is in a strip mall on Transcontinental right off Veterans. (Of course I'd call first)

99 Supermarket
4646 Michoud Blvd Ste D,
New Orleans, LA 70129 Map 504 254-0040 ...

Oriental Market
(504) 457-4567 · 3324 Transcontinental Dr, Metairie, LA 70006
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein