Fresh Local Seafood is Available

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Jerry

Fresh Local Seafood is Available

Post by Jerry »

The thread about "Catch" closing because of the oil affecting seafood is curious.

Today I stopped at Dennis' Seafood Market in Metairie and bought some great boiled crabs and fresh catfish filets.

Also available were fresh whole speckled trout at $5.75 a lb. and large fresh shrimp at about $4 a lb.

Freash LA oysters were available by the gallon or half gallon as well.
Jerry Sherlock / Jazz Boutique
JazzBoutique.net
justagirl

Re: Fresh Local Seafood is Available

Post by justagirl »

Makes you think Catch has impeccable timing, yes? They sucked from the beginning and haven't gotten better. Using the oil spill is a great excuse, especially with BP handing out money. I hope they don't try to claim losses through BP. The only tragedy here is that they opened this horrible restaurant to begin with.

I'm sure we'll hear about their next mediocre adventure soon.

As for local seafood, it's safe to eat, so go ahead and eat it! Let's keep the places who deserve to stay in business in business.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

I'm sure it was farm raised catfish?

Rouse's has an ad for boiled crabs from Lake Ponchartrain and local shrimp,

But I read this story in todays Times Picayune about a small restaurant owner closing because of seafood prices, and the article also mentions Tommy Cvitanovich talking about the high seafood prices and the scarcity of oysters. P&J has totally stopped shucking (locally sought oysters) because of their qaulity standards.

http://www.fox4now.com/Global/story.asp?S=12708110

I wonder why some places seem to offer the local seafood at fairly reasonable prices to consumers but why most restaurants/businesses are having a hard time....
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

I can understand the tourists being a bit afraid of seafood but I don't understand locals who are shying away from it.
Some of you may remember a few weeks back that I was on a quest for crabs and even went to Deanies. I had stopped going to Seithers a few months back after getting some mushy (probably re-boiled) crabs. We went last night for my mother-in-law's birthday and they had the fattest & best boiled crabs I have had in years at a restaurant. I was shocked though that at 7pm, there was only one other table besides us. The guy at the other table kept questioning the waitress on their fat Lake crab sign and I spoke up and convinced him to order them. Not sure where they got their shrimp from but they were huge. The crawfish were the typical end of the season but still good. ;)
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

The boiled crabs I had at lunch at Seafood Pot this week were actually the best I've had recently-- heavy and full, not kites like a few weeks before.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
BTG

Post by BTG »

Suzy Wong wrote:I'm sure it was farm raised catfish?

Rouse's has an ad for boiled crabs from Lake Ponchartrain and local shrimp,

But I read this story in todays Times Picayune about a small restaurant owner closing because of seafood prices, and the article also mentions Tommy Cvitanovich talking about the high seafood prices and the scarcity of oysters. P&J has totally stopped shucking (locally sought oysters) because of their qaulity standards.

http://www.fox4now.com/Global/story.asp?S=12708110

I wonder why some places seem to offer the local seafood at fairly reasonable prices to consumers but why most restaurants/businesses are having a hard time....
That story in the paper is about the restaurant closing is about a very small restaurant with maybe two tables that had been open for 6 months. I am sure any change in price would hurt them greatly. Then again, a place like that rarely makes it for very long any way it seems. There is no doubt there is a shortage now and the price increases are hurting alot of folks.

I went fishing with 8 other people on the coast yesterday and I came away feeling alot better about that area that I had from just seeing one bad article after another.
First and most importantly, this was the best fishing trip I have ever been on in this area. We launced at Campos in Shell Beach and headed 18-20 miles southeast. My boat caught 14 very nice redfish, 4 black drum, and 10 or so trout. The redfish and trout were just huge. The other two boats that were with us had similiar results. I saw crabs floating by us, porpoises swimming around, and tons of brown pelicans flying around. The shrimp boats looked to be running too.
I know other areas have been affected much worse than this and it could all change quickly, but I came away with a better feeling than I thought I would.

There were little patches of very lite oil sheen here and there, but no smell.
The bait shop was hopping, as was the gas stations, and the boat launch. It warmed my heart to see people out and about spending money and supporting the area.

The shell beach area was full with contractors. The camps and rental places are full up. There are office trailers, travel trailers, tents, cars every where and lots of workers coming and going. We heard it was worse(more crowded) at Hopedale, which is where we usually launch our boats. I know people are hurting in our state, but I have heard that some areas are booming with the influx of workers and the overnight lodging places are booked up 100% for a while. I really hope that the money gets spread around and that BP pays as they are supposed to and many of our smaller businesses and fishermen make it through this.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I'm sure they were looking for an excuse to close as most suggest. Me and Ms. Frankie are brunching at Katie's at about one p. m. then going to Fiona's place on N. Jeff Davis afterwards for music and drinkies.
Jeeves (Po-Boys Forever!)
www.ladayrides.com
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill ... _othe.html

Spicer enters into a class-action Suit against BP.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."