Roux in a Jar

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Pete

Roux in a Jar

Post by Pete »

I know it's taboo for a lot of people, but I've recently become a big proponent of this stuff. I wouldn't use it for gumbo or crawfish bisque, but have found it to be very useful in making gravy. Stir a little into your pot roast or roast beef gravy and it makes a world of difference. It also takes a lot of the guesswork out of cooking smothered rabbit, pork chops, and so on. All you have to do is fry the meat, take it out and cook your seasoning vegetables in the grease, return the meat to the pot with stock to cover, and simmer until the meat is done. Remove the meat from the pot and stir spoonfuls of roux into the simmering stock until the gravy is thick enough for you. Anybody else a fan of this stuff? Is one brand any better than another?
hungryone

Re: Roux in a Jar

Post by hungryone »

Practically every cajun home cook I know keeps a jar of pre-made roux tucked away in the pantry; they may not boast of using it, but it's such a timesaving thing. You can make roux-peas or baby limas in a roux in just minutes, and you can whip up all sorts of delicious weeknight cookin' with a couple spoons of premade roux. I generally use the Savoie's brand dark roux. I counted nine different kinds of roux on the shelf at WallyWorld the other day (brands, light vs dark, dry vs wet, etc).

The first jarred rouxs were sold as early as 1952, so it's not exactly a new thing.
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I can make a roux, to any color you like, in the microwave in 5 minutes or so. And it doesn't stink up the house for a day. Since I started doing it this way I see no need for pre-made roux.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Pete

Post by Pete »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:I can make a roux, to any color you like, in the microwave in 5 minutes or so. And it doesn't stink up the house for a day. Since I started doing it this way I see no need for pre-made roux.
I have tried the microwave method but don't like it. I guess once you get a feel for it you know how long you can zap it without burning it, but I spent so much time checking and stirring the roux that it wasn't much of a shortcut. I also didn't like handling a cup that hot and finding a safe place to set it down. One problem with jarred roux is that it's so dense, dissolving it into the stock takes a while. You have to stir in a little at a time and whisk furiously or it will sink and burn on the bottom of the pot.
EatinAintCheatin

Pete wrote:I have tried the microwave method but don't like it. I guess once you get a feel for it you know how long you can zap it without burning it, but I spent so much time checking and stirring the roux that it wasn't much of a shortcut. I also didn't like handling a cup that hot and finding a safe place to set it down. One problem with jarred roux is that it's so dense, dissolving it into the stock takes a while. You have to stir in a little at a time and whisk furiously or it will sink and burn on the bottom of the pot.
I have found that using peanut oil is the only way to go with microwave roux. I have burned the roux with vegetable and canola oil.

1.5 minutes on the first blast.
stir
1 minute
stir
1 minute
stir
Then stop and let it continue darkening. If you need darker then give it a couple 30 second blasts.

I agree with the handling a napalm bomb. I use a 6 cup Pyrex measuring cup with a very thick oven mitt....and it's still scary sometimes.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Titchou

Post by Titchou »

You can also do the microwave roux and then put it on the stove to get it really dark - saves time that way.
For the Colonel's Lady and Judy O'Grady
are sisters under the skin.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I sometimes use Tony's Roux mix (dry). I add it to thicken, as needed, to gravies, soups, stews, etc.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Turbodog wrote:I sometimes use Tony's Roux mix (dry). I add it to thicken, as needed, to gravies, soups, stews, etc.
Is that just browned flour? What kind of flavor does it give the gravy?
RouxTheDay

Post by RouxTheDay »

EatinAintCheatin wrote:I have found that using peanut oil is the only way to go with microwave roux. I have burned the roux with vegetable and canola oil.

1.5 minutes on the first blast.
stir
1 minute
stir
1 minute
stir
Then stop and let it continue darkening. If you need darker then give it a couple 30 second blasts.

I agree with the handling a napalm bomb. I use a 6 cup Pyrex measuring cup with a very thick oven mitt....and it's still scary sometimes.

Care to share the oil/flour ratio using this method? thanks
EatinAintCheatin

I normally don't really measure. I just put a little oil and then add flour. Stir until it's a thick paste. But if you want a good starting point use 1/3 cup plus 1 tbls. of flour and 1/4 cup of peanut oil.

This is a small batch of roux so you can use a 2 cup Pyrex cup. Just make sure that the unheated mixture is never more than 1/2 the volume of the Pyrex. As you heat the mixture it will expand, then when the moisture is released from the flour it contracts back down.

Of course microwaves differ so don't be surprised if you need additional blasts to achieve the color you want. Just remember, it will be napalm hot and will continue cooking for a while.

And finally, I usually make the roux while I sauté the veggies. Then add the stock and spoon in the roux. It is still hotter than 212 so it sizzles as I add it. Kinda cool, but again be careful and don't just plop the entire roux into the liquid.

Most importantly, be careful.
- Redd Foxx