Strange night at A Mano

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
willifred

Strange night at A Mano

Post by willifred »

I realize that most of us really like A Mano, Rio Mar, and La Boca. They are truly some of the most enjoyable restaurants in our city. I've known Adolfo for many years now and don't think you could find a nicer, more sincere restauranteur in town. Having said that, I had what I consider a very strange thing happen the last time I was in A Mano. I sat at the bar, being a single diner. When the olive oil came, I asked for a pepper mill to add a little punch. I was told that they don't have pepper mills. I thought she might just be pulling my leg, but when I said that more or less, she told me "the chef doesn't believe in them, the're so Olive Garden." It was said with a healthy dose of attitude.......sorry, but I want a real pepper mill, not some stuff that God knows how long it's been ground. Am I a "pepper snob" or is this kind of weird for their restaurants?
Blackened Out

Re: strange night at A Mano

Post by Blackened Out »

That is one of the great debates in the restaurant world. On one hand you have chefs who dont believe in putting out salt and pepper because they believe their food is seasoned expertly. On the other hand you have chefs who say, the people paid for the food let them do whatever they want to it.

But I think most of us would not believe that somewhere in the back of A Mano's kitchen there does not exist a peppermill. In situations like that, a server should just can the stock line, and grab the mill for you.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I have not been there, and upon hearing that, will not go there. I wont be going to Olive Garden either, but there are plenty of good restaurants that have pepper grinders. Thatis too much attitude for me.

As someone who can hold his own in any kitchen, I do not need to go eat anywhere that the chef has that kind of attitude. I add fresh ground pepper to almost everything I eat. I love it!
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

I honestly can't believe that that line came from Adolfo Garcia. No way.

Sounds like a waitperson who just wants to be cool.

I would have replied, "Oh, ok, then just go hand smash some peppercorns for me & bring them to me in a little bowl."
Pas Bon

Post by Pas Bon »

Isabella Maja wrote:I honestly can't believe that that line came from Adolfo Garcia. No way.
Adolfo's not the chef at A Mano.....Joshua Smith is.
willifred

Post by willifred »

Pas Bon wrote:Adolfo's not the chef at A Mano.....Joshua Smith is.
I did not mean to imply that Adolfo was the person that made the statement. I've known him far too long, and can't believe he subscribes to this theory. I will definately ask him about this the next time I run into him. I know Joshua is the chef for A Mano. However, Adolfo is in effect the Head of all the group of 3 restaurants. The person that actually said this to me was the "beverage director" for all three restaurants. She was bartending at A Mano that particular night. I recognize her and have met her on more than one occasion, but can't recall her name. She specifically said "the chef thinks it's so 80's Olive Garden". I regularly eat at the bar at La Boca and have always had nothing but great experiences with Sybil. But this entire experience was a totally different feel, and not a very good one. My former neighbor was waiting tables that night, picked up on what was going on and, to his credit, tried to smooth it over.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

willifred wrote:I did not mean to imply that Adolfo was the person that made the statement. I've known him far too long, and can't believe he subscribes to this theory. I will definately ask him about this the next time I run into him. I know Joshua is the chef for A Mano. However, Adolfo is in effect the Head of all the group of 3 restaurants. The person that actually said this to me was the "beverage director" for all three restaurants. She was bartending at A Mano that particular night. I recognize her and have met her on more than one occasion, but can't recall her name. She specifically said "the chef thinks it's so 80's Olive Garden". I regularly eat at the bar at La Boca and have always had nothing but great experiences with Sybil. But this entire experience was a totally different feel, and not a very good one. My former neighbor was waiting tables that night, picked up on what was going on and, to his credit, tried to smooth it over.
I wasn't under the impression that Adolfo made the statement to you. Your point above was exactly my point.
We both can't believe he subscribes to this theory.

Well, what can I say? I interviewed a person for a job as my assistant & thought I perhaps had found a great person that I could groom into the job.
After being given a test situation this week, even after a few chances - she totally blew it by her response in action.
I wouldn't hire someone so rigid to represent me. But I didn't know it beforehand. And I'm sure glad I found out now.

My point . . . . there is never, ever going to be someone who can take our place as the business owner - who would treat our guests exactly the same way we would.
We'd like to think there are folks out there, but short of cloning ourselves, we all have a personality.

No, Adolfo would have never said that, subscribed to that, approved of that statement.
He's worked really hard to get where he is today.
Now, the guy's got a lot of fires going & he's trusting his top people to take care of the guests.
I truly hope someone tells him about this - incidental as it may seem, the trickle starts somewhere.

As far as a peppermill being "so '80's Olive Garden", why didn't she just tell you flat out you had poor taste?"
Good grief! There's a way to make a statement & there is a way to insult customers. There's a fine line in between.
Blackened Out

Post by Blackened Out »

I was thinking about this more last night and let me offer this opinion. In no way is this a defense. But perhaps what the bartender was referencing is when you go to a restaurant and as soon as the plate hits the table some person is standing over you with a 3 foot tall peppermill or worse one of those electronic ones with a light they whip out of a holster, and begins showering your plate with pepper.

Maybe that is what is so Applebee's and not the actual addition of pepper. Still, a weird way to say that.
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

So I called a Mano to ask - they do, indeed have a peppermill. It is not offered unless the diner asks. They were, in fact, aware of this thread, and somewhat baffled, as they have no issue with providing pepper when it is requested.

Now if I could only convince them to offer hot tea ...
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose
willifred

Post by willifred »

paz5559 wrote:So I called a Mano to ask - they do, indeed have a peppermill. It is not offered unless the diner asks. They were, in fact, aware of this thread, and somewhat baffled, as they have no issue with providing pepper when it is requested.

Now if I could only convince them to offer hot tea ...
Very interesting info. I swear on my mothers eyes this happened to me. I would have no reason t throw that out if it didn't happen. I prefaced the statement with saying many of us like all of Adolfo's 3 restaurants. I love dining at them. If I remember correctly, it was the Thursday night between the weekends of J-fest. I walked in, asked to sit at the bar as a single dinner, sat in the far corner so I could people watch. I had a great conversation with the couple next to me about how great the food was. As I said earlier, the beverage director for all three places, (sorry can't remember her name) waited on me. She wasn't all that busy, as it was getting late. When the oil came for my bread, I asked for a pepper mill. That is when she told me the Olive Garden line. As far as the meal was concerned, I really enjoyed it. I had the beet salad, rabbit,a glass of wine she recommended, and panne cotta. It was great. I was not trying to make some crap blow up because I had a bad meal or experience there. I'm looking forward to my my next meal at any of the three places. I'm sure some of you probably know this person (beverage director), and she may very well claim not to have said it. She would either not be remembering correctly , or covering her ass. Sorry if I sound defensive, but I hope I die and go to hell at this very moment if this didn't happen to me.