Squeal BBQ

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
sirvelvet

Re: Squeal BBQ

Post by sirvelvet »

kcdixiecat wrote:We'll have to go some afternoon. Maybe Jag would want to meet up with us. As for this weekend...we've just been to Sam's and Doug bought 15 pound brisket to smoke on Sunday.
Walker's can and does run out of food at the lunch service. I have been there at 1pm and there was no food left. You can avoid this problem by either going early or calling ahead with your order. Have a great time!
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

sirvelvet wrote:Walker's can and does run out of food at the lunch service. I have been there at 1pm and there was no food left. You can avoid this problem by either going early or calling ahead with your order. Have a great time!
Thanks SV for this tip, as I prefer a late lunch.

Will keep you posted, PAZ on any field trips.

BTW, I once had smoked fresh salmon at Hillbilly that was truly out of this world. I wish he'd start doing that again.

For those of you that frequent Hillbilly, please report back on current offerings. The last 5 visits were not so satisfactory (very dry meat) & while I loved it for a long time, can't see going back for more dry que.
I'd really love to hear that things are back to normal.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

I didn't see the requests to join us at Hillbilly's until aterwards. Sorry about that, but the only thing you really missed was our excellent company. :D

Maybe we can get together for another outing soon.

crrush doesn't think much of Walker's and she knows what she's talking about, but I wouldn't mind meeting out there just so I could say I've been.

After Walker's, I can only think of the little place across the side street from Corky's called Texas BBQ and Steakhouse, or something like that. I think that's about it for the area.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

ratcheese wrote:I didn't see the requests to join us at Hillbilly's until aterwards. Sorry about that, but the only thing you really missed was our excellent company. :D

Maybe we can get together for another outing soon.

crrush doesn't think much of Walker's and she knows what she's talking about, but I wouldn't mind meeting out there just so I could say I've been.

After Walker's, I can only think of the little place across the side street from Corky's called Texas BBQ and Steakhouse, or something like that. I think that's about it for the area.
Once upon a time, Texas BBQ Co used to be Harold's Texas BBQ.
I worked in the area & would visit at least once a week... we're talking the old days . . . late 70s - early 80s.
It was very good back then. Talk was his son took over & changed the name to Texas BBQ.
Does anyone know if the same family owns this joint? I went a few times, but this was years ago.
No where even close.

Two nights ago, outside of Maple Leaf, a couple of guys were grilling on a barrel rig. I rolled down my window, but didn't smell a thing. I sailed on by.
I wish more late night drive by BBQ was available. The good stuff.

I'd like to go Walker's & from a strictly experiential point of view.
We'll keep you posted.