Squeal BBQ

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
ratcheese

Re: Squeal BBQ

Post by ratcheese »

Low-N-Slow wrote:3-2-1 means a period of 2 hours in foil between 3 hours (to set some color) and one hour (to reconstitute bark) out of foil. Although it sounds good on paper ("3-2-1"), 2 hours in foil is way too much for spares, to say nothing of loin backs, at average pit temps of 250 -275°. There is a method for foiling loin backs for an extended period, but it requires strict adherance to a cooking temp of 225°.
Figured it was something like that. No wonder I never read his books.

We've foiled brisket in Texas for many years but we'd just keep them in an ice box to insulate and it works great. Very effective tenderizer and/or finisher, it actually holds the internal temp and keeps cooking. You have to be careful or you will end up with debris they get so tender, the tissue breaks down. If we ever put them back on the pit, it was just for show.

Many people will foil beef while its still on the pit, after smoking the first few hours. I don't like too much smoke myself. I want to taste meat first and foremost. Its all about the meat.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

kcdixiecat wrote:Has anyone tried Squeal Bar-B-Q on Oak St?
yes. Once or twice.

Hillbilly was great for a while, but the last few times has been not to my liking.
Very dry, little flavor.

I'm willing to go to Walker's with you, KCDC, if you like.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Isabella Maja wrote:yes. Once or twice.

Hillbilly was great for a while, but the last few times has been not to my liking.
Very dry, little flavor.

I'm willing to go to Walker's with you, KCDC, if you like.
We'll have to go some afternoon. Maybe Jag would want to meet up with us. As for this weekend...we've just been to Sam's and Doug bought 15 pound brisket to smoke on Sunday.
Isabella Maja

Post by Isabella Maja »

kcdixiecat wrote:We'll have to go some afternoon. Maybe Jag would want to meet up with us. As for this weekend...we've just been to Sam's and Doug bought 15 pound brisket to smoke on Sunday.
That sounds great!
Now about this weekend . . . uhm, did my invitation get lost in the mail?:whip:
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Isabella Maja wrote:That sounds great!
Now about this weekend . . . uhm, did my invitation get lost in the mail?:whip:
LOL c'mon over
crrush

Post by crrush »

Low-N-Slow wrote:Also, crrush hasn't totally stepped out of her BBQ closet here yet. She's had a rather immersive exposure to the world of BBQ, courtesy of one of her Yankee friends while she's been away from da' bayou.
ACK! You've outed me! It's not a secret, but I'm sensitive to the perception of being a shill on a food board and I don't want to front myself as some kind of bbq authority--which I am clearly not. I'm just opinionated and always up for sparking a debate.

And believe it or not, there is a rich history of southern BBQ in Chicago (not exactly "Yankee" territory) extending back to the Great Migration. It's a rarity, but good barbecue does exist outside of the south.

As for foiling...we all do what we've gotta do. Foiling, to me, ends up kind of steaming the ribs. Rat, I didn't meant to insinuate that you're using shoddy meat or questionable cooking techniques...just that a pro like you probably doesn't need to use it as a "tool".

We can thumb-wrestle over our differences at Hillbilly...
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

crrush wrote:ACK! You've outed me! It's not a secret, but I'm sensitive to the perception of being a shill on a food board and I don't want to front myself as some kind of bbq authority--which I am clearly not. I'm just opinionated and always up for sparking a debate.

And believe it or not, there is a rich history of southern BBQ in Chicago (not exactly "Yankee" territory) extending back to the Great Migration. It's a rarity, but good barbecue does exist outside of the south.

As for foiling...we all do what we've gotta do. Foiling, to me, ends up kind of steaming the ribs. Rat, I didn't meant to insinuate that you're using shoddy meat or questionable cooking techniques...just that a pro like you probably doesn't need to use it as a "tool".

We can thumb-wrestle over our differences at Hillbilly...
Haha I'll take all the help I can get. I wouldn't even be against boiling ribs if it didn't make them taste water logged. Its all about how it turns out in the end.

I'm going to start training on my wrestling thumb before Hillbilly. :thumb:
paz5559

Post by paz5559 »

Please count me in for field trips to either Hillbilly or Walkers!
"We dance when there is no music. We drink at funerals. We talk too much, and live too large and, frankly, we’re suspicious of those who don’t." -Chris Rose
EatinAintCheatin

Post by EatinAintCheatin »

I live in the area and would be very interested in your opinions. I'd also love to meet there.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
- Redd Foxx
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

I was interested in trying it (I love BBQ and cook a lot of it myself), but after hearing they cook in the oven and finish on a grill, I lost all interest. What a cop out.