Squeal BBQ

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
kcdixiecat

Squeal BBQ

Post by kcdixiecat »

Has anyone tried Squeal Bar-B-Q on Oak St?
ratcheese

Re: Squeal BBQ

Post by ratcheese »

Yes mam, I've eaten there a few times and I enjoy it for the most part. Its not "real" BBQ, meaning they cook it in ovens and finish outside on a pit, but its clean, cheap, the sides are good, people are nice, etc.,

The times I've eaten there, I've taken home enough for another meal; that's what it is. I suspect they may have good burgers...hope that helps.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

Thanks! It was showcased on a new TLC show..Food Buddha. Was just curious about it. We have yet to find good barbecue here in the city.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

Dixie cat honey, knowing you and having tried Squeal...it's not what you are looking for.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

kcdixiecat wrote:Thanks! It was showcased on a new TLC show..Food Buddha. Was just curious about it. We have yet to find good barbecue here in the city.
None to be found as far as I know. Therefore, it becomes a matter of expectations. They are opening a new Q joint on Airline, across from SAM's, but judging by the expense they're going through, it will be of the artificial sort.

Hang in there, we'll get something going sooner or later.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Have you not tried Hillbilly in River Ridge? And, if you have, what didn't you like about it? I know you're asking about Squeal, but am interested in your take on Hillbilly. Rat, I don't think Hi-Ho is going to be anything in the vein of authentic BBQ, either.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Low-N-Slow wrote:Have you not tried Hillbilly in River Ridge? And, if you have, what didn't you like about it?
I have not tried Hillbilly BBQ. I've heard the name, now that you mention it, but out of sight out of mind, you know. I will make it a point to get out there now that you've reminded me. Where is it exactly?

Never mind, I found it on the internet. Dood's from Kentucky. Is it sauced? Is the sauce sweet? Gotta watch those hill folk :) But yeah, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his cool pit. I'll do him right and get there at noon, so it should be at peak freshness.
Low-N-Slow

Post by Low-N-Slow »

Jeff Hwy, close to Kenner. The address is on Tullulah, it's just behind the Triangle West Bar (heavy metal karaoke!) on Jeff. Service is on Chinet with plastic utensils, but, hey, is there any other way to eat BBQ?

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

ratcheese wrote:Never mind, I found it on the internet. Dood's from Kentucky. Is it sauced? Is the sauce sweet? Gotta watch those hill folk :) But yeah, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his cool pit. I'll do him right and get there at noon, so it should be at peak freshness.
Sauce is up to you. Meat is not served sauced. Table sauces include a sweet tomato-based, an "original" tangy tomato-based, and Starnes, which is vinegar-based. I do the original on the beef; the Starnes on the pulled pork.
"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats. Hungry?"
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

We've been to Hillbilly...it's just okay. The guy is from Kentucky, but their barbecue is more of a NC barbecue than Kentucky. It's not smoky enough..when I have barbecue I want to taste the smoke.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

kcdixiecat wrote:We've been to Hillbilly...it's just okay. The guy is from Kentucky, but their barbecue is more of a NC barbecue than Kentucky. It's not smoky enough..when I have barbecue I want to taste the smoke.
Style is a huge problem when you come into an area where BBQ is not a part of the culture; there is no single style for commercial operations to aim at.

I looked at his website and saw a Klose smoker, he says is fired by hickory imported from Kentucky, which is a great start--at least he's not a drive-by BBQ agent--he's trying. He doesn't serve the meat sauced--another good point. Plastic utensils and paper plates, good.

But like you say, he is from Kentucky which I assume means he doesn't know beef and I see in his pics that he uses a heavy dry rub on his ribs, which is a big no-no for my taste because ribs are about the only smoked pork item I'll eat, and then only occasionally.

Instinctively, I'm going to judge his quality based on what I grew up on which is Texas style. Is that fair? Maybe not, but BBQ is such a ingrained, primal ritual, that its hard to like what you don't like. Pork=Nasty, Beef=Good. :p (Unless I'm in NC).

The most exciting thing I see on his menu is the smoked hamburger. I have a feeling that and his chicken are going to be the way to go.

More than anything, I like his sense of bravery. This is a tough BBQ market.