Squeal BBQ

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
Blackened Out

Re: Squeal BBQ

Post by Blackened Out »

Have you ever tried Walker's in New Orleans East? Their barbecue ribs are some of the most tender, but toothsome examples of that breed. Juicy, fiery roasted chickens and very well done brisket. Makes their cochon de lait po boy look second rate compared to the remainder of their options. Plus, they cook their collards in a combination of meat drippings and pork for as long as it takes for them to become smoky, aromatic, and perfect with a dollop of hot sauce.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Blackened Out wrote:Have you ever tried Walker's in New Orleans East? Their barbecue ribs are some of the most tender, but toothsome examples of that breed. Juicy, fiery roasted chickens and very well done brisket. Makes their cochon de lait po boy look second rate compared to the remainder of their options. Plus, they cook their collards in a combination of meat drippings and pork for as long as it takes for them to become smoky, aromatic, and perfect with a dollop of hot sauce.

I have not tried Walker's for the same reason I haven't tried Hillbilly--they're a major drive out into the boonies if or when I think of them.

I'm curious about your use of the term "toothsome", however. crrush used the same term; what do you mean by that? The meaty texture of smoked spareribs as opposed to the mushy texture of boiled back ribs that fall off the bone? I guess that's what you're talking about.
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

ratcheese wrote:Instinctively, I'm going to judge his quality based on what I grew up on which is Texas style. Is that fair? Maybe not, but BBQ is such a ingrained, primal ritual, that its hard to like what you don't like. Pork=Nasty, Beef=Good. (Unless I'm in NC).
We moved to New Orleans from Kansas City....I grew up in Kentucky but fell in love with KC barbecue...Doug grew up on the stuff. So..we're probably not being fair either. But, you like what you like...right?

As for NC barbecue...I have tried to like it..I just can't do it. Blech

Yeah...what is "toothsome"..lol
Blackened Out

Post by Blackened Out »

What I mean by toothsome is a bite of rib, dough, etc... that doesn't just fall apart, but has some texture or substance to it. To often you get a "fall of the bone" rib and you take one bit and the entire meat falls off. At Walker's the meat falls off the bone, but only the meat that is directly in range of your chompers, not meat on the other side of the bone.
Turbodog

Post by Turbodog »

The lack of a regional bbq style should not keep a food city like NO from having good Q. Here onthe northshore, I don't know of any good Q. there is passable Q, but nothing really good. I have been to hillbilly, but not the Joint or Walkers (I would like to go to both, but when I am in the city, to eat, I always go elsewhere).

I am considering a new venture that would be casual food, with a strong BBQ presence on the menu. I don't know if it is gonna come together, but I am working on it now.
ratcheese

Post by ratcheese »

Blackened Out wrote:What I mean by toothsome is a bite of rib, dough, etc... that doesn't just fall apart, but has some texture or substance to it. To often you get a "fall of the bone" rib and you take one bit and the entire meat falls off. At Walker's the meat falls off the bone, but only the meat that is directly in range of your chompers, not meat on the other side of the bone.
kc and I are just playing with you. You're among friends here, but when you talk about BBQ to people in the outside world, you might want to save the term toothsome for finer dining applications.

kc used the term "Blech" which worked, Ummm, works, Chrome and the Blues fit with BBQ, but toothsome belongs somewhere else. "Fork tender", that's a good term if you're writing about brisket.

BBQ is all about simplicity. Peterbilt trucks, half crazed BBQ cooks with machete sized knives in-hand just looking to set you straight, sauce-free meat served on butcher paper, that sort of thing. ;)
kcdixiecat

Post by kcdixiecat »

ratcheese wrote:BBQ is all about simplicity. Peterbilt trucks, half crazed BBQ cooks with machete sized knives in-hand just looking to set you straight, sauce-free meat served on butcher paper, that sort of thing. ;)
OMG you've met Doug! But, at our house...the blues are always blaring while he's out playing with the smoker...I have a margarita and he usually has a gin and tonic...the dachshunds are running rampant while trying to steal a taste of whatever he's smoking when they get the chance.....oh, and there is either a blackberry or peach cobbler in the oven.
Blackened Out

Post by Blackened Out »

ratcheese wrote:kc and I are just playing with you. You're among friends here, but when you talk about BBQ to people in the outside world, you might want to save the term toothsome for finer dining applications.

kc used the term "Blech" which worked, Ummm, works, Chrome and the Blues fit with BBQ, but toothsome belongs somewhere else. "Fork tender", that's a good term if you're writing about brisket.

BBQ is all about simplicity. Peterbilt trucks, half crazed BBQ cooks with machete sized knives in-hand just looking to set you straight, sauce-free meat served on butcher paper, that sort of thing. ;)
Good to know, but I'll say that Walker's is some of the best fine dining in the city. And by that I mean nothing more than it kicks ass. It is not like Vietnamese, which is all just a variation on pho. Smoked tongue planted firmly in braised cheek.
TulaneRebel

Post by TulaneRebel »

Blackened Out wrote: It is not like Vietnamese, which is all just a variation on pho.
You obviously live in the Marigny and/or Bywater.
sirvelvet

Post by sirvelvet »

I have been to Squeal. Their bbq is, as already mentioned, not very interesting. I did find their sides both tasty and interesting.

It's also odd that there has been no mention of The Joint. For southern style, it seems like it really meets the requirements of good bbq. Everything is slow smoked over firewood and really has a smoky flavor, plus the meat is fall off the bone good.

This may not appease the Texas bbq fan, but many would also not consider Texas-style real bbq. In either case, I seems to fall to quality and adherence to some standard.