Celina's Bakery/Supermarket

New Orleans Loves Great Food & Drink, and Loves To Talk About It Even More!
ratcheese

Celina's Bakery/Supermarket

Post by ratcheese »

Someone mentioned Celina's Bakery out in Kenner a while back and I finally made a rare trip out there today.

They make homemade flour tortillas! I am so excited!

I didn't ask if they were lard, but judging from the feel of their little bakery/market/taqueria empire, I bet they are. They look good anyway and I'm sure they'll be light years better than commercial tortillas.

I asked about homemade corn tortillas and that was a NO, but they do carry a nice brand of white corn tortillas from Houston called Le Mejor. I am sure some hot oil will perk them up to a suitable state. And, they carry a very good brand of white corn tortilla masa.

The baked goods looked nice but I passed today. I bought a package of Jamaica Flowers to make that incredible tea, various chilli powders, and the flour tortillas.

I inquired about their homemade tamales, but today's variety was Pure Corn. We laughed about that a little as I told her I would need some beer to wash that down. Those guys are Central American. They like things thick, like thick tortillas, papusas, and thick masa on tamales. Filling, but I was raised on the thin philosophy of the North. So, if I'm going to waste valuable stomach space on masa, it at least better have something inside.

Celina's was a nice discovery, though. Nice people running a nice, clean little establishment.

Not so good was my stop before Celina's.

The trip down, or up Williams Blvd., today was a spontaneous extension of a venture out to Sam's for a $37 package of razor blades. I don't know why...

But I did not have the information from this forum with me, regarding Celina's--I was driving up Williams unsure of the name and I pulled into a market/restaurant south of I-10 called la Azteca. It was authentic. I ordered Milanesa. I ate most of it. Three hours later, I'm worried about that decision. This concludes my review of la Azteca.

Three cheers for Celina's! I'll let you know how the flour tortillas are tomorrow.