Diet and Fitness

Off Topic Discussions Go Here. Keep It Clean. Keep It Sane. Play Nice. Relax.
dragongrrl

Diet and Fitness

Post by dragongrrl »

I've noticed a few people mention that they are on diets. I have also mentioned that I'm on a diet. I've lost 30 pounds, but still have a way to go as my goal is 60. Yes I let myself go. South Beach is trying to get me back.

I'm also exercising several times a week. Lifting weights and riding the recumbent bike.

Anyone else wanna share what they're doing to get themselves in shape or keep themselves in shape?
Now this is more like it.
ChoWeb

Re: Diet and Fitness

Post by ChoWeb »

Since going back to school, I put on an extra 15-20 lbs from what is considered my healthy weight (about 120). I credit this to a.) the more sedentary lifestyle of being student and working, where I spend lots of time sitting and studying and b.) a city full of great food.

So, I've gone on Weight Watchers which I've had success with in the past, and for a while was working out 45 minutes for 5 days a week on elliptical, bikes and jogging. I'll admit, though, in the past two weeks since I found out about the move to New Mexico which is happening in about thwo weeks, its been very hard to stay on track. I don't feel I have time for the workouts, and friends and family want to take me out constantly to celebrate.
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I work out 6 hours a week. I try to avoid processed foods as much as I can. I drink grass fed cow whole milk. I drink a ton of water, easily 64 ounces a day, usually more. I make a lot of my own food so I know what's in it. I only use real butter and olive oil if I need an oil. I eat nuts or granola as a snack when I need one.

Just stuff like that.

In my 6 hours, only one is really cardio, I know that's probably not enough, but trying to squeeze in another hour is hard to do. I definitely sweat a lot during the other 5 hours and my heart rate does go up, but it's not technically cardio. But I feel great.

I noticed something yesterday...since being on this 'diet' (it's just life to me) I hardly bruise. I used to bruise if someone touched me. Interesting.

Oh, and I take vitamins (green and multi) and glucosamine. I just recently added Goji juice...we'll see what that does.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
Suzy Wong

Post by Suzy Wong »

Sounds like everyone is doing a great job!

Some things I do on and off that help me, as far as eating goes,

cutting food into smaller pieces,
using a smaller plate

I use Ezekiel bread, soy milk, olive oil etc safflower mayo,

Not eating after 6pm
lots of herbal tea, jasmine, green tea, I brew, then in iced tea form in a pitcher in the refrigerator, water
no alcohol

eating salad with a flavored vinegar BEFORE a meal, any meal and or soup, especially miso

having snack food already made, kind of like what jag said,
kashi bars, boiled eggs, raw almonds, carrots, cucumber slices, low fat string cheese, goldfish crackers, edamame, wee brie cheese, sunflower seeds, wheat germ to sprinkle on cottage cheese or fruit

stuff I add to salads: crumbled garganzola, artichoke hearts, thawed fresh frozen peas, corn, chick peas, drained red kidney beans, capers, peppercorns,

And if you ever want fast food, get a kids meal, it's the smallest portion, and you get a toy;)

When I take my son to the movies if I want popcorn, I get a kids pack, which is even smaller than a small popcorn/drink, and you don't have that yuck full feeling.

Groceries, bakeries even Whole Foods sell single serving desserts, that's a good alternative also.
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.—Albert Einstein
globe9

Post by globe9 »

I lost about 60lbs 4 years ago and kept it off until recently I was 134lbs, but am now about 160lbs. I'm 5'8" so it doesn't look too bad, but I miss the cuts in my legs and arms and the semi-flat stomach.

I mainly did it by cutting out soft drinks altogether. I hated diet drinks back then as I thought they tasted like a$$, so it was just water for me. I also cut out fast food altogether too and began eating salads for dinner, fruit, smoothies, small servings, grilled chicken and vegetables, etc. I worked out at home on my Total Gym and a Gazelle. Most of the weight came off fast. The last 10 or so came off without my really even trying. I began running 2 miles a day in training for a position I wanted and one day I noticed that I had lost another 10lbs.

Well now, I have aquired a taste for diet drinks, so I drink a lot of diet coke, diet barqs, etc. I know it doesn't have any calories, but water HAS to be better for you. Also drink a lot of diet green tea too. I eat out almost every weekend and don't really watch the calories and I've stopped working out in this heat. It's just so hot, I don't want to get up early and do anything. When the fall comes, that's usually when I get that "feeling". I just feel good and am energized and want to be outdoors doing something.

Gotta go back on a diet though
justagirl

Post by justagirl »

I've never drank a Coke and didn't grow up with Fast Food, so those are no-brainers for me. I never had to cut them out, I never had them to begin with.

So when it comes to adjusting my diet, it's a little harder because I eat pretty well already. One thing I've noticed is that I hardly eat po-boys any more. I didn't intentionally cut them out, I guess just being healthier overall, I tend to think about going to get them less. Only when Jeeves calls. lol

I eat home more often when I'm trying to be good. But if someone wants to go out to dinner, I go. I don't make 'rules' I guess is what I'm saying.
“I'm sure when Peyton Manning was growing up he always wanted to throw the TD pass that gave the Saints a Super Bowl win," Jorge Arangure wrote. "Now he has."
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

I'm eating out much less right now while I'm trying to get rid of the bulk of my weight goal. I'll start lightening up after in maintenance.

I love salads with stuff in them. I put (not all at once) sunflower seeds, red, black, or garbanzo beans, frozen baby limas, calamatta olives, broccoli slaw, and a spinach/spring mix combo.
LauraMc

Post by LauraMc »

I've been off the diet wagon since Thanksgiving so it's time to get back on. I usually restrict calories and exercise. I was really into Bikram (hot) yoga in Houston but it's too hard to devote that much time (90 minutes) to class with hubby around.
I bought a Wii and Wii Fit a few weeks ago on ebay. The Wii Fit came in but I seem to have been screwed on the Wii console. Ebay and PayPal alerted me they thought it was a fraudulent sale after they processed my payment. I have to wait 30 days to get my money back. In the meantime, I'm afraid to buy from ebay. Does anyone know if any stores around here have the console? I thought they were only available through ebay these days but someone told me they saw them at Best Buy on the westbank about a month ago.
dragongrrl

Post by dragongrrl »

I'd call around starting with Best Buy, Sears, Sams, Toys Are Us. I bet you find one.
café au lait

Post by café au lait »

Laura, they're pretty plentiful right now. We got one about a month ago at Walmart. I've also seen them recently at Target. They also might be back in stock at Amazon which would even save you tax, plus free shipping.
Forget the apple - a café au lait a day keeps the doctor away!